Make a donation

Author Topic: CW MK6 Golf R (Australia)  (Read 105788 times)

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: CW MK6 Golf R (Australia)
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:16 am »
Got the car back from my mechanic. Missed driving the thing!

Got rid of the 42DD catch can and in place, Forge catch can! Along with OEM Audi R8 oil cap, coolant cap, and red coilpacks and NGK PFR7B double platinum spark plugs. 35,000km service done with oil + filter change and MOTUL Specific 504/507 engine oil.

Still need to re-install the audi TTS engine cover.

A bit annoyed though as when I got the car back, the Reverse Camera decided to be a pain in the ass and not work. The camera would still actuate and the image will still appear on the RNS510 unit but it seems the camera wont protrude all the way out?  This is all I see

Need to get this fixed...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:56:42 am by stephen8512 »

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:41 am »
attempted to get a side shot and an angle shot of the car, which had the front lowered another 0.5cm or so. Sorry about the crap photography. Taken with my phone

Not sure if you can really tell from those photos as the black wheels and tyres seem to blend in together to the arch...need to see it in person

Offline Scotty734

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:11 pm »
Lovely car :)

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:06 pm »
Gave the car a full wash and detail today. Vacuum, Snowfoam, clay, 2 bucket wash, polish, wax, re-nanolexed the windows and wheels, leather treatment. Took forever but finally, feels good to have a clean car again. Still need to detail it more. Perhaps I'll get Pierre's assistance? Hahaha ;)

Only thing I need to do is replace the pollen filter and give the air vents a good spraying of Glen20 to kill any bacterial buildup from the A/C. Will do this in the next few weeks or so.

Also got the RVC issue sorted. I bought a replacement part quite cheap compared to retail (which I'm told costs something like $700.00 or something ridiculous from VW) and because I only needed the RVC camera and not the wiring that goes with it, I decided to give it a go myself and replace it.

Taking off the boot trim wasn't an issue as I had to do this before when I removed my rear wiper and put the wiper delete. The VW boot latch/RVC is held on by 3 T20 torx bolts. AFter you undo them, it's just simply a matter of twist to unlock and then pull out. Very easy. Since my RVC came from factory, I didn't have to mess about with wiring and it was a straight replacement, plug and play.

I decided to open up the old one to see what may have been causing the problem. It turns out that a plastic "latch" which is used to pop out the RVC had snapped off. The latch was hooked on to a metal piece which actuates and then protrudes the camera out, but being plastic, it's not unreasonable that it had snapped although I would have thought it would last longer than 2 years.

Here's a photo of the metal thing which actuates when put in Reverse

and heres the photo of the plastic latch which had broken. Photo with the camera fully out

Photo of camera retracted

Design flaw? Hmm, possibly, but these things happen I guess. I suppose I was just one of the unlucky ones.... Anyway, it's fixed and it all works again so I'm happy

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »
Car looks amazing but I have a little off topic question  :grin: I'm always talking about moving to a different countries at work and some of the other bloke from my place have went to australia in the past but i heard they are strict on modified cars over there, is that true as I still seem to see a lot of nice ones such as yours.

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:32 am »
Car looks amazing but I have a little off topic question  :grin: I'm always talking about moving to a different countries at work and some of the other bloke from my place have went to australia in the past but i heard they are strict on modified cars over there, is that true as I still seem to see a lot of nice ones such as yours.

Hey mate.

It really depends which state you intend to live. For example, Sydney in NSW has pretty strict laws compared to, say, Perth in WA.

There has been an overall crackdown on modified cars in the past few years due to the media portraying modified car owners as being young, 19-20 something year olds on their P plates, hooning around doing burnouts in highly modified cars. There is even a law which prohibits P platers driving turbocharged cars and there is a restricted list of cars which P platers cannot drive. Funny thing is, a turbocharged car like, say, an Evo 9 is restricted but a car which is an N/A V6/V8 isnt restricted? Dumbasses in our government making stupid laws TBH...

But to be honest, if you don't drive around like a hoon, it's no different to any other country i'm assuming. The cars which usually gets pulled over are mainly JDM import cars, e.g your skylines, evos, STI's, etc mainly because these cars are popular with todays youth. A golf R/GTI on the other hand is quite subtle and though it may not be a track weapon or anything of the sort out of the box, you can still tinker with it and mod it without having the stress of having to look over your shoulder every time you go for a drive and worrying about getting a defect.

Offline VWPalmer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:11 am »
Sweet man cheers for the info, doesn't sound as bad as I thought. It's tempting me even more now  :grin:

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2013, 11:26:28 am »
its been a while since i've posted anything up.

Car is pottering around nicely :)  :driver: nothing new to report....

Few things coming up that I have planned

Haldex Gen IV
HPA Stage 3 DSG flash tune
Brembo 6 pot brakes (355x32) with Remsa pads
New wheels

Heres a teaser shot of a photoshoot with a mates Evo X and his brothers MK6 GTI

more to come shortly

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:45 pm »
Loving the updates, keep them coming  :happy2:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »

Few things coming up that I have planned

Haldex Gen IV
HPA Stage 3 DSG flash tune
Brembo 6 pot brakes (355x32) with Remsa pads
New wheels

:popcornsoda:
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:10 am »

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
very nice

:sad1: I miss mine, think I might have to get another.

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »
Here are some photos which were taken about 2 weeks ago on the friday of the long weekend.

A friend of mine (RJ) was selling his Evo X and in the past we have hinted at the possibility of a photoshoot together. However, we were both busy at the time and it never eventuated.

Since he was selling his car, we decided to finally get a photoshoot in of both our cars. Ron is RJ's brother and he owns a 3 door MK6 GTI and came along too.

Funnily enough, all 3 cars were white.

Anyway, here they are. Credit for the photography goes to Joseph Hui (J_HUI)

my favourite one from the lot. JDM vs Euro, squaring off

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:49 pm »
Amazing photos, all three look fantastic! :congrats:

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:57 am »
small updates

- haldex controller received

bit of cosmetic rice

- "R" seat handle inserts

installed

LED amber indicators

also ordered this : Garage Vary Reife front lip for the Golf R

Garage Vary is a well known JDM brand with the JDM community. I wasn't happy with the lip offerings like Kerscher or Revozsport because I think they dont look all that nice personally. This is what i was looking for. Nice, simple and clean.