Make a donation

Author Topic: Windscreen washer issue  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Windscreen washer issue
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »
Think I may have an issue with my windscreen washers. When I press for them to spray, it takes a while for them to work and then the pressure is not that good. The headlight washers on the other hand spray the whole front of the car.

I thought this may be the way they work, but now am sure something is not right. The other day after coming back to my house I saw two 'sausages' of frozen screenwash lying on the ground. I stuck my hand up inside the bottom of the car behind the drivers foglight and there were some icy bits of screenwash.

First question is, how is the pressure on your windscreen washers?

Second question is, anybody have any idea where the leak could be or what could be causing this issue?

And just to be clear, the delay is not from being frozen as it has been like this since I got the car when the temps were way above freezing, just only noticed the leaked fluid thanks to it being frozen on the drive.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Windscreen washer issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »
Nobody had any leaks with their washer bottle?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
If unsuitable washer fluid has been used it can cause the pipes to part but normally you wouldn't get any flow. Iirc the windscreen washers and headlight washers use different pumps so maybe one has some debris in it.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
Thanks Stu. Wanted to have a good look over the weekend, but too darned cold. Was hoping to get an idea on where any weak areas exist if any.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »
Are there any obvious signs of water?  Boot, footwells?

You may need the bumper off to look at the washer bottle.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:13 pm »
No obvious signs. First time I noticed the leak was thanks to the frozen 'sausages' of screenwash on the ground when I drove back into the drive. Was thinking the same thing, bumper off, go through the whole system and check everything. Wish I still had a workshop, it's cold out there now, lol.