Make a donation

Author Topic: Porsche 996TT brake kit - The Not Quite So Big brake Kits Bigger HARDER brother!  (Read 67776 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

Porsche 996TT brake kit - the Not Quite So Big brake Kits 'NQSBBKs' Bigger HARDER brother!!

I recently traded the NQSBBK for its bigger brother the 996 TT kit.  The NQS was getting better & better & better as the pagid blues bedded in and I though it may regret swapping but I missed the sight of big discs under the team dynamics on my Leon Cupra (Stage 2+)

Here are some details & my thoughts on the kit.  Its is the same kit found on TEFFs ridiculously awesome specced GolfR

What is it:

This Porsche 996tt Kit is;

• lightweight OEM Porsche 4 pot caliper

With a fitting kit comprising of;

• 350mm rotors in a choice of plain, drilled or J hooked

• Brackets for either Gti, TTS or S3 / Cupra or Passat R36
  • Centering rings
  • HEL performance brake lines

The calipers have unique piston sizes of 36 and 44mm that work really well with the MkV platform Master cylinder

I dont care about that show me some pictures!

Okay.

Some more pics taken during fitting can be found here...

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k482/tfsi_mike/My%20Leon%20Cupra/Mods/porsche%20turbo%20brakes/

Why bother?

Depending who you are it could be one (or all) of a few reasons...

Aesthetics.  As you will see they look the nuts!  There are many show queens among us and shiny OEM+ parts always get attention.  The 'P word' on your brakes and massive discs  :party:

Safety.  Tyres and Brakes are maybe the two most important (safety wise) parts on your car.  If youve increased the power of your carI dont think I need to explain why you should look at improving your brakes!

Performance.  Lots of us are regular track day addicts, or plan to be, or bare minimun love a spririted drive in our chariot.  Anyone who has Gti brakes knows slowing down in a hurry can be  :scared: scary especially when in the realms of Stage2/2+ power/speed!  :driver:

Pad choice.  Simply a pad for every man and his application or budget. From driving on / off the trailer to shows , to the odd track day to racing Meganes round the Nurburgring!  Over 40 pad compounds from  :pomppomp: to  :evilgrin:

Calipers homologised by FIA for Porsche cup, for Motorsport nuts amongst us

Value.  An extremely capable kit for half the cost of most of the BBKs on offer.

Sourcing & Cost:

Dave Brown

Most of us Know Dave by now (DaveB, Professor friction, the gay train driver - call him what you will he is a brake Guru!)

Dave supplied my complete kit.  Having had a few of his setups (I can count 6 in my head) I wouldn't go anywhere else for stuff that slows me down!

He can be found frequenting this forum Clicky to find Dave

Bear in mind Dave has a day job as a pilot & twin sons and recieves upto 40messages per day  :surprised: it can take a couple of days to get a reply but his knowledge, kit and service is 100% worth having some paitience for in my opinion!  Especially on something as important as brakes!

The calipers can be found on the bay, salvage yards / online breakers or even Porsche main dealers if your feeling flush

The Part numbers are:

996.351.429 Left
996.351.430 Right

and are from Porsche 996 Turbo, 996 GT2, Carrera 4S, Carrera 2S (The later 997 S also got these calipers)

A fitting kit with plain discs is £450
A fitting kit with Drilled discs is £485 - Ive had drilled discs from Dave on my OEM Cupra setup and they were superb!
A fitting kit with J hooked discs is £515 - Ive had J hooks on my NQSBBK , S3 rear kit and now this 996 Turbo kit and they are also  :drool: :drool:

Calipers are typically £300 - £400 and could be brand new right down to needing a full on refurb.

Fitting

There is a guide by Muckipup found Here on fitting the Porsche Kits little brother the NQS BBK.

Bear in mind with this kit the discs supplied are designed to be the right width (34mm) for the caliper so there's no need to modify / trim the pegs on the caliper to squeeze the disc in.

Remember the calipers will need reversing, this is explained in the NQS BBK link above.

I used the services of Alex Kerr  VrsAlex on here.
I would highly recommend his services (Thats another review  :happy2:

I had to use 3mm spacers on my car but dave has had this kit on a Golf (QD's I believe) under BBS Golf BBS VZ's wheels without the need.

Plus points

Great pedal feel on original Master Cylinder (36 and 44mm pistons that work really well with the MkV platform Master cylinder)
Ideal for fast road / track days
Looks
Lightweight (especially compared to S3 / Cupra setup)
OEM+ parts
Developed by & support of DaveB
Massive pad choice

minus points

More expensive than the S3 / Cupra / R32 setup
Slightly heavier discs than expensive 2 piece rotor kits

Conclusion

I dont think I need to say much about Daves kit & service, outstanding and I give another massive thanks to him for his time & support in getting this kit for my Cupra  :notworthy: :notworthy:

The ultimate setup for me would be this with a 2 piece rotor but the discs only weigh as much as my originaly Cupra one & these calipers are much lighter.

Im using OEM Porsche pads (used ones) for now and although Ive only covered a few hundred miles they are bloody brilliant!  Bearing in mind Ive just had the v3.1 APR map update, Ive been putting the car through its paces and its  :surprised: :scared: quicker than before.  Shaving the speed of is effortless with these without the off / on feel of some brake kits due to the small pistons working at lower speeds and thier bigger brothers joining in if you really want to stop!

I cant wait to add sporty pads to this kit.  There is little need as the kit will perform beyond my abilities but I have shiny kit syndrome and like being specced up.

I will likely use plain discs for road with oem porsche pads and use the current J hooked rotors with some sporty pads for track days when I get back from the dessert mid summer.

Very Happy Mike, in my opinion outstanding brake kit.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Nice to hear Mike.  :happy2: (until the next kit)  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Keep us updated when you get a few miles under your belt - look the mutts though!  :pomppomp:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Nice to hear Mike.  :happy2: (until the next kit)  :wink:

What brakes does eurofighter have Ian?  :innocent:

Keep us updated when you get a few miles under your belt - look the mutts though!  :pomppomp:

Thanks  :happy2:  Certainly will.  Looking forward to giving it some beans  :driver:

Just trying to find out about vane / J orientation as discussed on other thread.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
I cant believe how light the calipers were.   The discs cancelled that out though  :scared:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
I cant believe how light the calipers were.   The discs cancelled that out though  :scared:

I cant remember the weight of the OEM Cupra rotors but the new 350mm ones are 12-13kg.  A two piece option would be the ultimate setup for me :)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
*want*
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

h4rdy

Very nice Mike.
Thats a good price for nice looking and effective setup.
Are they R32 discs?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
Very nice Mike.
Thats a good price for nice looking and effective setup.
Are they R32 discs?

Merc discs I think Justin. Amg 60 something, not sure.

h4rdy

Fair do's.
Does it just need that little bit smaller diameter to fit behind wheel as the R32 are 365 are they not?
Very nice anyway.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
Fair do's.
Does it just need that little bit smaller diameter to fit behind wheel as the R32 are 365 are they not?
Very nice anyway.

My original brakes (Cupra / S3 / R32 - all the same bar colour) were 345mm  :happy2: 
But the calipers were made of lead and steel and bricks lol

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Excellent write up Mike brakes look awesome, so are we talking £850ish for full set up? Cheers, Stevie.

h4rdy

Fair do's.
Very nice anyway.

My original brakes (Cupra / S3 / R32 - all the same bar colour) were 345mm  :happy2: 

My bad yes of course they are.
I am just wondering, to keep as oem as possible, whether it is possible to fit R32 discs then?

h4rdy

I imagine the position of the disc on the rotor is different to enable it to sit further back maybe?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
Fair do's.
Very nice anyway.

My original brakes (Cupra / S3 / R32 - all the same bar colour) were 345mm  :happy2:  

My bad yes of course they are.
I am just wondering, to keep as oem as possible, whether it is possible to fit R32 discs then?

To use oem Cupra / s3 discs you want the DB9 setup that  'Gti mad' bought off me. That needs MC upgrade though.

Excellent write up Mike brakes look awesome, so are we talking £850ish for full set up? Cheers, Stevie.

Thanks mate  :smiley: depends where you get your calipers from really.  I paid about £950 with gleaming calipers but had my nqs bbk to help fund it / soften the blow lol.