Make a donation

Author Topic: Inner tail light mod units  (Read 46133 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Inner tail light mod units
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:05 am »
phil, any chance you could try with ordinary W5W bulb holders instead of direct soldering?

that way would allow people to swap and change bulbs easily...

Ive been trying to find some slim 501 bulb holders but cant seem to find what ive got in mind, on the edge on the tailgate there is very little space only about 8mm to play with, im still looking tho

im also trying to find LEDs that emit light out of the sides rather than straight out, if you follow me, that way i think the glow will be 100% spot on
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 11:47:37 am »
if i understand it right...the led's your using they look like a single LED with a clear 'lens'?

what if you just used a bit of sandpaper to diffuse the edge?
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »
if i understand it right...the led's your using they look like a single LED with a clear 'lens'?

what if you just used a bit of sandpaper to diffuse the edge?

Yeah they are the single LEDs I didn't want them to be to bright, I've been looking at the 360 degree led bulbs but they are mega bright

The sand paper is a great idea I will experiment with it later on

Thanks Ali
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 02:52:31 pm »

Ive been trying to find some slim 501 bulb holders but cant seem to find what ive got in mind, on the edge on the tailgate there is very little space only about 8mm to play with, im still looking tho

im also trying to find LEDs that emit light out of the sides rather than straight out, if you follow me, that way i think the glow will be 100% spot on

Phil,  I've got a couple of set of these recently for interior bulbs, work well and are very bright, one led on the nose and then 4 around the circumferance.  might provide a solution for you.  can drop a pair in the post to you if it helps with the development work.   :happy2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180737742822&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »

Phil,  I've got a couple of set of these recently for interior bulbs, work well and are very bright, one led on the nose and then 4 around the circumferance.  might provide a solution for you.  can drop a pair in the post to you if it helps with the development work.   :happy2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180737742822&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

That my friend might just be the answer im looking for, how bright are they? Ive got both my lamps fitted and when it gets dark later i will be out (scalextric powerpack in hand lol) to power them up and switch the side lights on, if you could post me a pair that would be great, let me know how much they are and i will paypal you mate :happy2:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »
Just taken a picture so you get an idea of the brightness.  They are very bright once it gets really dark.  PM me your address and i'll drop em in the post tomorrow, FOC.  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 07:01:23 pm »
i think you may find they are too bright will not match outers

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »
Right everyone its dark, been out with the scalextric controller  :signLOL: and im VERY pleased to say they are not much brighter than the filament outers, if i wanna be mega picky they are RED and the outers look orangeish, so i got my OH out to give me her thoughts and she said they look very smart and wants a set on her mk5 :pomppomp:

now as ive found out taking pics of lights in the dark is a nightmare so ive take a pic with no flash for your thoughts, the LEDs look to have a bright centre there not as bright as they look and im gonna try APPLES idea of sand paper, so here they are

i think the 360 leds will be to bright but if i can take the led on the top out of liting up then that could be a goer, will pm my address now mate :happy2:

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »
What would be ideal is to be able to put a similar bulb in the outers, that way even if the brightness isn't exactly the same the colour will be.

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:05 pm »
best bet is to stand back away from car you will get a all round better picture of them and see how they match

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
What would be ideal is to be able to put a similar bulb in the outers, that way even if the brightness isn't exactly the same the colour will be.

well i was thinking the same thing mate :happy2: gonna have a look at canbus friendly 382 LED bulbs in red, that way the bulb out warning will still work and the lights will all be the same colour, all in all im really really pleased with them, just waiting to collect my VAG multi plugs so i can connect them to the number plate harness properly, i feel that after the last few days this mod has come on alot from a few ideas to working well

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »
any more news mate

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
any more news mate

Im in Norfolk atm but i used my car monday with no issues with bulb out at all, ive had a few people comment on them and the slight difference in colour doesnt look as bad as i first thought, so im now able to offer 2 ways for this
First i can supply the bulb looms and the loom to connect to the car, inc a drill bit of the correct size and full step by step guide with pics
or
i can supply both inner lens fitted with the bulbs, loom to connect to the car and a step by step guide with pics on how to connect it to the car loom and fit the rear lens, this would be on the understanding that im sent back the inners that are taken off

ive been thinking about the cost of parts and that so prices would be £26 for the supply of parts so you can mod your own rear lamps, and £33 for the supply of Lamps fitted with the LEDs but like i said i would need the old lamps back asap
I will be making to order aswell so it will prob be a 4/5 day turn around
Whatever way the kit is bought i will supply a spare bulb loom for one lamp, even tho they are LEDs and should last ages in case one goes faulty you will have a spare to fit

Like i said im not gonna put this near ebay so its only on here that im gonna be selling them :happy2:

Offline biglad65

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »
sounds good to me phil have you any pictures from a distance mate

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved