Make a donation

Author Topic: Inner tail light mod units  (Read 46286 times)

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Re: Inner tail light mod units
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »
These seem to be progressing well since we last spoke Phil, will also be watching to see the pics come in, could defo be interested  :happy2:
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »
These seem to be progressing well since we last spoke Phil, will also be watching to see the pics come in, could defo be interested  :happy2:

Thank you mate :happy2: i will be up your way again in about 6 weeks so if you did want a set i could drop them in on route if you wanted  :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »
Just used 501 bulbs mate

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

Thank you mate :happy2: i will be up your way again in about 6 weeks so if you did want a set i could drop them in on route if you wanted  :happy2:

Damn you and your temptation  :signLOL: give me a shout nearer the time, would be easy to give you my inners in return! If you bring me the other side skirt as well I would definitely have a pair  :grin:
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:34 pm »
Just used 501 bulbs mate

How did you get round the clearance with the tailgate, and how are the bulbs held in place?
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »

Damn you and your temptation  :signLOL: give me a shout nearer the time, would be easy to give you my inners in return! If you bring me the other side skirt as well I would definitely have a pair  :grin:

now thats a plan, will do my best to find another skirt for you mate  :happy2:

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »
Just used 501 bulbs mate

How did you get round the clearance with the tailgate, and how are the bulbs held in place?

Space is an issue and a right pain in the  :booty:.
501's held in with bulb holders, no silicone, plastiwelding etc!!

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 08:36:52 pm »
Just used 501 bulbs mate

Get on fair play that man :happy2:, i looked at bulb holders, thought about 501 dash light holders, went thro the draw full at work but they all seemed to have big arses, where did you wire yours to?

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »

These are the ones I made a few months ago

Incandescent light bulb still look way better than led lights imho.
Is another name for the 501 bulbs a t10 w5w bulb? Or is this a different model?

How many clearance is there for a bulb holder?
Would this fit?:

Or this:

(possible to turn and lock?!)
diameter: 18,5mm
hole: 12,5mm
height: 15,0mm

Or use 2 or 4 smaller T5 W2W bulbs with holders?:

And is there a how-to for the wiring? Where to connect? License plate lights?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:07:42 pm by Timvgti »

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

These are the ones I made a few months ago

Incandescent light bulb still look way better than led lights imho.
Is another name for the 501 bulbs a t10 w5w bulb? Or is this a different model?

How many clearance is there for a bulb holder?
Would this fit?:

Or this:

(possible to turn and lock?!)
diameter: 18,5mm
hole: 12,5mm
height: 15,0mm

Or use 2 or 4 smaller T5 W2W bulbs with holders?:

And is there a how-to for the wiring? Where to connect? License plate lights?

There is about 8/10mm clearance tops for the outer side, the smaller bulbs might be ok, i didnt bother to try them TBH, the 501 bulb holders you have listed will have to much sticking out the back to fit, the one with the wires out the back defo wont clear and the other ones are designed to get there live and earthfrom the metal strips inside the light so even if you could get clearance with them getting the wiring to them would be a PITA, also yes i agree LEDs do give a different glow to filaments, but once phase 2 is complete the outers will be LED'ed aswell so will look ok
Ive had mine fitted now for over a week and tbh no one has said they dont look right, a lot have asked if it was just a set model that had them fitted as there mk5 dont light up lol

yes ive got a how to for the wiring guide, the worse bit is getting the 2 wires thro the rubber boot from tailgate to car

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
There is about 8/10mm clearance tops for the outer side, the smaller bulbs might be ok, i didnt bother to try them TBH, the 501 bulb holders you have listed will have to much sticking out the back to fit, the one with the wires out the back defo wont clear and the other ones are designed to get there live and earthfrom the metal strips inside the light so even if you could get clearance with them getting the wiring to them would be a PITA, also yes i agree LEDs do give a different glow to filaments, but once phase 2 is complete the outers will be LED'ed aswell so will look ok
Ive had mine fitted now for over a week and tbh no one has said they dont look right, a lot have asked if it was just a set model that had them fitted as there mk5 dont light up lol

yes ive got a how to for the wiring guide, the worse bit is getting the 2 wires thro the rubber boot from tailgate to car

Would it be possible to give me a copy of the how-to (wiring)? (PB or Email?) so I can make something with incadescent w2w bulbs for myself (I live in The Netherlands)?
And is it possible to connect them to the license plate bulb wiring without faultcodes/bulb-out warnings? So no wiring from tailgate to car is needed?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:09:28 pm by Timvgti »

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2012, 03:12:10 pm »

Would it be possible to give me a copy of the how-to (wiring)? (PB or Email?) so I can make something with incadescent w2w bulbs for myself (I live in The Netherlands)?
And is it possible to connect them to the license plate bulb wiring without faultcodes/bulb-out warnings? So no wiring from tailgate to car is needed?

Hi mate if you pm me your email addie I will send it as a PDF file, the way I wired mine is thro the number plate and it works spot on bud

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
Tim - if you mean 2w 286 type bulbs then do not waste your time, it barely lights up and doesn't give full coverage.

W3W ones are ok but the heat saving over W5W isn't significant enough to use them instead.

I'm waiting for Phil to crack it before doing any more with mine.

If using filaments then red tinted ones do not give a white reflection that escapes around the centre circle.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
Tim - if you mean 2w 286 type bulbs then do not waste your time, it barely lights up and doesn't give full coverage.

W3W ones are ok but the heat saving over W5W isn't significant enough to use them instead.

I'm waiting for Phil to crack it before doing any more with mine.

If using filaments then red tinted ones do not give a white reflection that escapes around the centre circle.

Thank you mate, i think ive got it cracked, sent out the sets and waiting for some feedback on them  :happy2: ive got a set here with your name on them  :pomppomp:

Offline Timvgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »
Just used 501 bulbs mate

Looked at the clearance on my mk5 gti today and made a photo.
But looks like there is enough space/clearance to fit a small incandescent or led bulb with holder, don't you guys think?