Make a donation

Author Topic: mk4 1.6 mach  (Read 1722 times)

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
mk4 1.6 mach
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:22 pm »
Hi can any one help my mates car has ruff idling and stalls it has been like this for mons was told it was the throttle body so he got it changed cost him bout £300 all seemd ok for about a week and its a total pain in the butt today its defo at its worst has any one got any ideas??? 

car is a 1.6 16v mach its a 53 plate millage is 98 thou

thanks in advance

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: mk4 1.6 mach
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »
Any one?? could it be that the throtle body has faild agen???

Offline Scott_GT_TDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:40 pm »
Not sure if it is part of the throttle body on this model, but it sounds like an Idle Control Valve issue?

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »
Thats what i was thinking but i think it is all one unit . by the way sorry for the verry bad spelling i was wrighting it on my phone when he was driving .....

Offline Scott_GT_TDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:04:13 am »
Possible air leak then?

Try getting it idling ( you may need a mate to keep it running ) and spray some cold start wherever you see a join in the inlet? Also check no breather hoses have popped off etc. My clio 172 cup had an idling issue and a hose coming off the inlet manifold had come off, it was just a push fitting.

Good luck  :happy2:

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:38 pm »
I will go see him tomorow and have a good look around all the hoses and il try the cold start. what will that do ? will it suck it in or blow it out ??????

Offline Scott_GT_TDI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:30:53 am »
In theory, it should raise the revs a bit. Used to work well on old school cars, never had the need to try it on newer ones, but I cant see the science of finding a possible air leak having changed over the years. Basically the air leak will, in theory, be allowing unmetered air to be sneaking in after the MAF, therefore causing your rough idling. Spraying the cold start ( which is a flamable liquid ) should help the combustion, therefore raising your revs.

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:06:39 pm »
ok nice one i thot thats what would hapen . hes off tomorow so i was going to do all this with him but hes already got it booked back in to the garage for tomorow hopfaly it gets sorted this time we were out in it lastnight and he was slowing down turnd at a corner and it cut out .

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:24 am »
Ok so little update and your thots.  he sent the car back in to the garage thay had it for 2 days  thay found that a bottom brether hose was imploding??? and also its missfireing so thay changed 2 coils i never heard no missfire and the car drove fine its only on idle or if u drop the clutch. so thay have got it running beter for him but its still hunting and he as to go someware and get his ecu upgraded!?! this is suposably really common on new cars thay told him that it needs upgraded because when arts get worn and cjanged it needs upgraded? i dont beleve it iv never heard of anything like it its a standers ecu not maped or chipd 

what u guys think??