Make a donation

Author Topic: Nice new paint now mega swirly  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Nice new paint now mega swirly
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:44 pm »
I'd like to get a pro detail but it's hard to find a trusted and well experienced detailer. I'm up in edinburgh. From what I know both greeners & russ are 4/5hr away from me. Can't really take a day or two off work to get down there unfortunately.

Can anyone recommend any well experienced detailers from near my end?

As for products. I'm looking into buying a a machine polisher, don't have much knowledge about them so what brand and type do people on here use? Also is paint sealant and wax the same product with a different name?

If I was to carry out a mini detail on my car, after washing, claying and drying along with wheel and tyres I would follow this method:-

Apply a swirl remover (possibly swirlX) by machine, buff off with MF cloth
Apply polish by machine and buff off
Apply a wax/sealant by machine and buff off

I'd change the pads from abrasive to less abrasive with each step. How does this technique sound and anything I'm missing?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 10:14:16 pm »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:29 pm »
Just an update to this - I just washed the car this morning and its 'marr central'! 

The whole thing covered in the finest of marks, real hard to see in some light but when the sun hits its right.... :surprised: :scared: :confused:.....terrible

Well I tried a few things in my arsenal and found I had a tube of Megs Scratch X - and it seems to be removing them nicely - by hand so a steady job mind you.

What product would be an equivalent to Scrath X that can be done my machine to speed up the process? Any of the finer correction compounds?

You cant really tell the Scratch X is an abrasive to the touch - whereas I also have some AG Paint Renovator and its like liquid sandpaper!

Just need to find the source of the marring now - think I will bin all my (new!!) cloths and things.!

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:58 pm »
Depends on whether the swirls were taken out the first time or not. A lot of products have filler in them to fill in the swirls, so they reappear over time. You need to get the car machine polished properly, otherwise you'll just inflict more swirls and create holograms if you don't know what you're doing!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »
Depends on whether the swirls were taken out the first time or not. A lot of products have filler in them to fill in the swirls, so they reappear over time. You need to get the car machine polished properly, otherwise you'll just inflict more swirls and create holograms if you don't know what you're doing!
:congrats: couldn't have put it better myself

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:30 am »
But with the scratch x I take it I've removed the marring and not filled them?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK