Make a donation

Author Topic: OSIR Front Splitter - Review....  (Read 25676 times)

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
Re: OSIR Front Splitter - Review....
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 07:17:07 am »
How does the removable center bit stay in place? i have lost the screws/bolts to hold them in place and picking the car up tomorrow, the 2 center bits i have are away getting wraped so i cant see how they hold in place. Has anyone got a picture of them?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

How does the removable center bit stay in place? i have lost the screws/bolts to hold them in place and picking the car up tomorrow, the 2 center bits i have are away getting wraped so i cant see how they hold in place. Has anyone got a picture of them?

....Hopefully this pic will help. Otherwise, if you ask me questions referring to this pic I may be able to help you further.

^ The two halves (yellow) of the main body slot and lock together - They are laid on the ground upside down in this photo.

^ The centre piece (black and shown right way up) then bolts through the slots you can see in the yellow main body when it's assembled into one piece.

I'll find a pic of the sides and upload it if you need more info.

Here's another pic which may or may not help:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:55:40 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35:45 am »
Thanks RedRobin that helps alot. I guess i can just use some other bolts that will fit to hold it on place. Is it hard to change the center section without removing the whole splitter?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 11:21:56 am »

Thanks RedRobin that helps alot. I guess i can just use some other bolts that will fit to hold it on place. Is it hard to change the center section without removing the whole splitter?

....Always a pleasure to help if I can on this forum  :grouphug: and thanks for the Thank You  :drinking:

Yes, I'm confident bolts can be fairly easily found but I don't specifically know what threads they are etc. The whole assembly is pretty quick and straightforward such that my VW dealer's bodyshop did mine (and prep and painted it!) for free while they did my wings rust repairs  :notworthy:

Which version is yours? Earlier fibreglass version or PU plastic? Post a pic here when done  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:15 am »
By the way, when fitted, don't expect a perfect central join line between the two (yellow in my pic) sections. But when you start looking that closely on any Golf you'll see lots of uneven or imperfect body section join lines.

The centre piece helps to lock everything into a more rigid whole.

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »

....Always a pleasure to help if I can on this forum  :grouphug: and thanks for the Thank You  :drinking:

Yes, I'm confident bolts can be fairly easily found but I don't specifically know what threads they are etc. The whole assembly is pretty quick and straightforward such that my VW dealer's bodyshop did mine (and prep and painted it!) for free while they did my wings rust repairs  :notworthy:

Which version is yours? Earlier fibreglass version or PU plastic? Post a pic here when done  :happy2:

Not a problem  :happy2:
Hopefully i will get the two center bits back next weekend so i will have a search to see what bolts will fit. That was pretty nice of them.

My version is the V4 and made of PU plastic. Will be sure to post a pic as i dont think i have seen a reflex silver one on here yet  :grin:

I have seen a small gap in all the pics i have seen of the splitter but doesnt worry me to much.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
^^^^
Yes I was thinking exactly the same about yours being a silver - It will look the part, as it does on Shabba's Steel Grey car. I think I was the first in the UK to fit the OSIR front splitter to a Mk5 GTI and I chose it very much based on thinking that it looks OEM+ rather than stick-on aftermarket body kit. The vents line up with and match the GTI's foglight panels.

I can't see from your sig pic whether your side valances are the original black or have been colour coded, but if still black, I wager that you'll be wanting to colour code them so that they blend in better with your OSIR front splitter when viewed from the side. Then you'll be probably looking at your rear valance options for the way they look with the sides  :grin:

Do you have a build thread or a member's ride thread on the go? I may even have posted in it but forgive me for not remembering.

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »
^^^^
Yes I was thinking exactly the same about yours being a silver - It will look the part, as it does on Shabba's Steel Grey car. I think I was the first in the UK to fit the OSIR front splitter to a Mk5 GTI and I chose it very much based on thinking that it looks OEM+ rather than stick-on aftermarket body kit. The vents line up with and match the GTI's foglight panels.

I can't see from your sig pic whether your side valances are the original black or have been colour coded, but if still black, I wager that you'll be wanting to colour code them so that they blend in better with your OSIR front splitter when viewed from the side. Then you'll be probably looking at your rear valance options for the way they look with the sides  :grin:

Do you have a build thread or a member's ride thread on the go? I may even have posted in it but forgive me for not remembering.

Yer we have got red and grey and soon silver. It does look OEM and doesnt look as deep as other so i can so lower on my coilovers when i get them fitted. They arent painted in the sig pic but i have new rieger side skirts going on atm. (was posted in recent purchases where there was confusion to wether they were real carbon or not) and as for the rear i have gone for an R32 rear which is smoothed (was vicks) and have got an R32 Blueflame style cat back.

This is my build thread. Not alot there because i moved alot over from my GT TDI.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48705.0.html

Offline Shabba168

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:37 pm »
bolts are M5 roughly 20mm long.

My center join meets really well. Took half hour trimming the mounting points on the bumper to get it sat just right.