Make a donation

Author Topic: A fixed format for Product Review Threads....  (Read 10926 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: A fixed format for Product Review Threads....
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 01:14:07 pm »
I've already budgeted £80 for burgers at Inters

going by last years prices that will get you half a squashed cold veggie burger and no chips.......  :laugh:

on a more serious note though, and as a trader reading this thread its getting very clouded to read. Things are trying to be said between the lines, and i all thats happening is that tensions are occurring as people have got some very different stand points on views and ethos's regarding products and the way they are marketed, and then ultimately reviewed - rather than discussing how the actual review should be managed.

On a personally note i dont advertise on any forums, my products speak quite clearly for themselves and although theyre never really subject to a review because of the type of product they are, reputation is key to maintain a good customer base. When there is competition on a forum for a product that is retailed in form by more than one entity then there will always be comparisons made and people will always favour the popular 9 times out of 10.

I am guilty of giving freebies, theres plenty of people on here that will vouch for that including some of the moderators, its a choice i make. Do i do it for recognition? nope, i do it based on relationships i build over time with individuals... fully aware that i am not the sole person that they use for the same products.

Now if a freebie was a "loss leader" for the sole purpose of getting a review onto a forum that doesnt allow direct advertising then it could be deemed as a little sneaky, and almost guilt the recipient into feeling they need to acknowledge and thank the seller somehow, wether that be in a thread about their car or a review thread knowing the exposure it would receive and potential customers that could be gained from it. I dont think thats something you can ever 'moderate' successfully to any degree without knowing the full story and the people involved.

Now i dont really want to weigh into an argument when the argument doesn't really need to occur, this is about reviews and shouldn't be turning into what its is. People will always have favourites and strong opinions toward them no doubt, and at times this naturally will cause defensive reactions, as said often its to affirm theyve made a good purchase, sometimes it can be a tip of the cap towards the company as an acknowledgment.

I regularly get asked for freebies from teams for race cars in return for exposure on track, its exactly the same principle.

I can see the flaws with the reviews, RR and Dave make some excellent points, ultimately though i dont believe you can police/moderate a review section as it is always loaded with bias in one direction, rarely negative. I've done reviews, normally after research before purchase so that the review becomes a "this is what i bought, this is a review" i wouldnt have bought it if i hadnt done the groundwork beforehand and that is all a review section can ever be... a groundwork area for people to make an decision based on others opinions, and thats all they are, opinions.

So when youre in the market for something, listen to opinions, discover the + and the - and then make an informed choice at the point of sale. If a forum review was as concrete in its information as some might suggest then if the results you gain after sale dont match the review then who's to blame? the reviewer? no...

Review sections to have guidelines and disclaimers would achieve a more balanced approach, ie stating that the reviews are experiences based on individuals choice and experiences and not endorsed by the forum etc etc rather than trying to pin each review into the same format.

:popcornsoda:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
thin Ice there buddy.... not really mate as I never actually said that was whats happening, only hoped it was NOT happening, merely asked a question (which was ignored) and instead have a pop at me?, makes sense?

I did a favour for a mod one time and didn't want paying, got a PM from said Mod asking what the value was. That value was put into the forum coffers....thought that was pretty proper myself.

Done lots for other forums myself, arranging stickers to be made up, contributing prizes to monthly prize draws and even paypal gift funds for helping the running of the site (which im pretty sure I done on this site too with paypal)

Ive given more stuff away to non mods than anything to mods, wouldn't want to be seen to be try to be achieving favour.

At the end of the day giving stuff away is promoting your business, its accepted practice in most businesses

I've got some Polo stuff going on a car soon at less than retail, if the cars owner doesn't cough to what was paid then I'll be putting it up here.

This site is refreshingly free from commercial operators, the worst kind is the box shifting "Tuners" who offer price lists and not advice. There's a people on here me included that sell some stuff, some more than others, the suspects are identified as traders so that people new to the forum are aware that posters may have a vested interest..

I try to put a bit back in to the equation in terms of advice.

So getting back to it.....notwithstanding that free endorsements, "sponsored" reviews are rife, endemic on other forums could we not try to make things a little more transparent on here by stating which category the product falls into maybe as such...

1. Gifted for free to spread the word
2. Done at cost/heavy discount as user aided development
3. Normal purchase asked for a discount got told to poke off
4. Normal purchase I didn't pay the asking price so a saving to be had - make your own enquiries

This is I think what others suggested and what I also suggested, fair for all to see and peeps can take it as they like if they know the full info

And before we get back into the VWR thing ^^^^^^ That's not addresses at anybody, I've already budgeted £80 for burgers at Inters

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 05:55:43 pm »

I can see the flaws with the reviews, RR and Dave make some excellent points, ultimately though i dont believe you can police/moderate a review section as it is always loaded with bias in one direction, rarely negative. I've done reviews, normally after research before purchase so that the review becomes a "this is what i bought, this is a review" i wouldnt have bought it if i hadnt done the groundwork beforehand and that is all a review section can ever be... a groundwork area for people to make an decision based on others opinions, and thats all they are, opinions.

So when youre in the market for something, listen to opinions, discover the + and the - and then make an informed choice at the point of sale. If a forum review was as concrete in its information as some might suggest then if the results you gain after sale dont match the review then who's to blame? the reviewer? no...

Review sections to have guidelines and disclaimers would achieve a more balanced approach, ie stating that the reviews are experiences based on individuals choice and experiences and not endorsed by the forum etc etc rather than trying to pin each review into the same format.

....Hear! Hear!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

All any of us offer on any forum is our own individual experience and opinion. We share for the benefit of others but the reader always has to make their own decisions and form their own opinions.

I know that not everyone will agree with me but what was paid or not by the reviewer has nothing to do with the quality of the reviewed product. Publishing the normal retail price is done to give a cost guideline. Focus on the subject of the review and not what someone else paid for it!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »
Completely agree - very few people will critcise their decisions. Perhaps it's to do with the pride of having spent time choosing something, paying £££ and then realising it's not all that it's turned out to be.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

h4rdy

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »
Can't there just be a disclaimer stating:

ASSUME THE REVIEWER GOT THIS FOR FREE!

All bases covered then.

There in no way of managing people being honest about what they paid for it, or not if the case may be.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:47 pm »
Can't there just be a disclaimer stating:

ASSUME THE REVIEWER GOT THIS FOR FREE!

All bases covered then.

There in no way of managing people being honest about what they paid for it, or not if the case may be.

:signLOL:  :signLOL:  :signLOL: I think thats possibly the best idea yet, like he said covers all options............. :drinking:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

h4rdy

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »
The other option?

Scrap the reviews, but I actually quite like reading them and don't take it as gospel.

I bought something fairly recently which is highly rated but turned out to be a complete crock of poo.

So I had my lesson there straight away.

I think just take them as 'I procured an item, I like it/don't, make your own mind up'.

Treat them as guidance is what I am trying to say.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »
The other option?

Scrap the reviews, but I actually quite like reading them and don't take it as gospel.

I bought something fairly recently which is highly rated but turned out to be a complete crock of poo.

I think just take them as 'I procured an item, I like it/don't, make your own mind up'.

What was it that turned out to be a dissapointment (for you)?

PM if need be, I'm just curious

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:13 pm »
The other option?

What was it that turned out to be a dissapointment (for you)?

PM if need be, I'm just curious

....And was some geezer called RedRobin who wrote the 'review'?  :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »
I think there is a lot of fuss being made over nothing!!

If people stuck to the format already provided, and the forum members used the brains they were given to make there own mind up then wheres the problem!!

Come on, were bored of spoon feeding and arse wiping, lets all be adults and make our own little minds up whether the product being reviewed is something that we want or not!  :stupid:  :signIWS:

h4rdy

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »
I think there is a lot of fuss being made over nothing!!

If people stuck to the format already provided, and the forum members used the brains they were given to make there own mind up then wheres the problem!!

Come on, were bored of spoon feeding and arse wiping, lets all be adults and make our own little minds up whether the product being reviewed is something that we want or not!  :stupid:  :signIWS:

Well said.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »
Exactly Nath.  :happy2:

At the end of the day you make your own mind up. No one puts a gun to your head.  :wink:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:14 pm »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email