All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Premature Ageing!

(1/8) > >>

Boothy:
Been to look at 06 plate GTI today with leather and travelled 98 miles each way to view it!

There were two problems really:

- the leather on the drivers seat was knackered, worn, cracked and had got to the stage where little flakes rub off and the cloth underneath can be seen. Now I considered leather because its supposed to be hard wearing but the car had only covered 29,000 miles? Is this normal or has the guy been rubbing it so hard he's worn it out!

- Noticed some uneven tire wear on the fronts and the rears. The fronts look like they've been driven under inflated for most of there life but the rears had worn on the inner edge. My Type-R used to munch tires like crazy because of the negative camber set up. Is the Golf set up similar to this and can I expect the rears to to need replacing just because they ride on the inner edge?

Shame really cause the car was tidy on the outside.

Cheers. :surprised:

Boothy:
Tumble weeds.................. :rolleye:

SteveP:
On my first GTI with leather I found it wore really easily unless it was well looked after and cleaner/conditioned at least every other week  :chicken:

RedRobin:
....

I can't comment about leather because I have cloth, but it doesn't sound like normal wear.

It's certainly not normal to see uneven tyre wear unless the owner is doing something wrong or has the suspension set up that way.

Harm:
I have to agree the leather isn't fantastic in the golfs....as my friend just bought a 56 plate with 39k on the clock and his badly worn, but then again mine has done 79k on a 54 plate and looks no where near as bad as his! Depends on care of the leather and how people get in and out of the car too IMO.

Hope that helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version