Make a donation

Author Topic: MKV Golf GTI - Semi SQ Audio install (pic heavy)  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Birk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: MKV Golf GTI - Semi SQ Audio install (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
Looks like a nice tidy install, can't help but think the box is slightly small, have you worked out the size of it?

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:13 am »
Excellent job..Know what you mean bout the bloody cables :signLOL:

due to time constraints I decided to only leave the factory front running off the amplifier.

thanks, I don't however remember this wiring gig to be so labour/time intensive.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:04:45 am by GLIDN »

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:15 am »
Looks like a nice tidy install, can't help but think the box is slightly small, have you worked out the size of it?

Originally, the box was too small, As it use to be 0.88 and with the displacement of the subwoofers I would have ended up with 0.78ft3. Which is still fine but does create a little peak frequency.

I extended the top lid to allow for exactly 1ft3 which means after the sub displacement and sound deadening to go into the box. Will leave me with approx 0.86ft3. Which is exactly what I'm after.
From personal experience I found that to be the best compromise for sound vs performance and still sound really nice.

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:03:53 am »
Well work has been crazy, so I only had friday night and Saturday to work on the car.
Working till crazy hours in the morning to try and get the car finished for a car meet today. I'm afraid to report that it was not finished and installed in time.

Firstly, I had to re-run the RCA and speaker wires. As they where not going to fit were I wanted to install them. So now it's been re-run, Power down the left hand rear arch.
Speaker wire and RCA's down the right hand side rear arch. No photo's I'm afraid.

Then went on to install the MS-8. Which is now all installed. Just hoping for some miracle that even thou it's literally brand new, it will work!!!

Also figured out the heights of the amplifier and distribution block. So Cut down some 2x4 and the mounting base.

As for the amplifiers mounting boards? Well I had more than ample perspex left over after the window for the lid. So I cut 3 amplifier mounting boards and 1 distribution block plate.
Additionally, I drilled holes thru the distro block's mounting 2x4, so that I can hide wiring as much as possible. No photo's of this I'm afraid as my phones battery ran flat earlier in the evening.

Mounting plates at final heights first photo debut.

Here is a photo of the box wrapped. As you can see the white plates is in fact the clear perspex. Cut it down with the Router. Again no photo's I'm afraid.

Here is the lid with the perspex window.

All the lids covered. My source for the vinyl did not come thru. So I had to go 90's look with all carpet. May have found a new source today. If it works out, than I will redo some of the carpet with Vinyl

As I painted all the pieces of 2x4, I decided to get some stick down cable connectors.

Then I remembered that I forgot to add the mounting points for the Lids. So I had to work with the existing carpet and drill holes. It damaged the carpet on on side, so I had to cut the carpet off and remove. Then recover only the damaged section with a new piece of carpet. Will add photo's tomorrow.

I also had to add some mounting/location points. In which I used speaker grill clips.

At this point it well passed 1am the following morning. So decided I have to at least get the wiring done.

At this point of 3:30am, I realized my reality that the car would not be finished for a club meet the following day. So decided to have the box ready that I could install it within the next day or two.

I also still had to adjust my coil-overs and fit some wheels I borrow the following morning.
Getting up at 7:30 am after only a few hours sleep is getting the better of me. Cannot wait till it's finally over.
Unfortunately I was not able to use my garage this morning so merely adjusted the coil overs on my driveway. Had no tape measure either.
So When the coil over was adjusted I cut a piece of speaker wire up with scissors I might add. This became my template length on the other side of the car.
Guessed about 20mm should be sufficient. Needles to say, I need to lower the car another 10-15mm. Which will happen in the next few days.

The wheels where a no go. Once fitted I noticed the tires being simply way too chancy. Turns out 19x8.5 ET45 wheels fit no problem. Having 245/35/19 however made them a no go. So returned my stock 18" Monza's back on the car and left around 9am.

This afternoon, I decide to install the box to insure I could run the required cabling where I wanted to. For the most part, it went well. Until I came to install the speaker wires.They are just to short. By only 10-16cm's. That was really annoying.
So decided to call it a day. So will continue with the install in the next 2 days.

That's all for this post. But before I go, I will leave you all with this photo.

Going to pass out now me thinks.

Offline ds1984

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:55:33 am »
something I need to do with my car

sent by me

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 12:07:48 am »
We need to see the end @GLIDN

Also - How exactly did you wire in the sub to an RCD510? I need to do this!  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
^^^this