Make a donation

Author Topic: Just ordered one of these  (Read 6377 times)

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
Just ordered one of these
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:59:32 am »
As the title says.

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/product.php?productid=16952&cat=1011&page=1

Have any of you guys or girls got one? Plus, I would like to know your thoughts on this

Should be fitted by next weekend, so I will post my findings then if no one has this PCV fix. :happy2:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:09:47 am by ukdub »
Laser Blue with K04 power, APR hardware controlled by REVO 2+ software
Chassis by KW V3's, Whiteline and a hint of PRO race 1.2's
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • gone old skool
Re: Just ordered one of these
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:49:38 pm »
I have the original fix - just the added check valve in a new pipe.  Have been looking at this and been very tempted to try it out - let us know how you get on.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 01:50:50 pm »
In case you are not aware of this, the place where the can should be mounted on US cars is not available on UK cars.

UK cars have the charcoal cannister in that position so you will need to find an alternative mounting site that may be a little less inconvient for servicing the can.

Do you have the stock engine cover as it may need to be cut for the hoses if a different can location is used.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:33:37 pm »
In case you are not aware of this, the place where the can should be mounted on US cars is not available on UK cars.

UK cars have the charcoal cannister in that position so you will need to find an alternative mounting site that may be a little less inconvient for servicing the can.

Do you have the stock engine cover as it may need to be cut for the hoses if a different can location is used.

Thanks for that. :happy2:  As for the engine cover, I have the Dbilas intake, so the cover is in the garage.

EDIT: I will email BSH speedshop, but any suggestions as where to mount it would be helpfull. :grouphug: 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:49:17 pm by ukdub »
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:44:02 pm »
The BSH fix is mentioned in a little more detail on VWVortex and it does look like a really good, simple, one stop shop cure 8)
Golf R gone.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:47 pm »

Thanks for that. :happy2:  As for the engine cover, I have the Dbilas intake, so the cover is in the garage.

EDIT: I will email BSH speedshop, but any suggestions as where to mount it would be helpfull. :grouphug: 

Phil from BSH has stated that some folk with RHD cars have managed to mount the can over on the right hand side of the engine bay (when looking at the engine from the front) mirroring the original instructions. Whilst this is possible, routing the hoses may create a problem as space is at a premium.

One viable avenue to persue is to do a little drilling and use a different mounting position. The red circles in the pic demonstrate where you need to drill and use screws/bolts to hold the bracket.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:04 pm »

Okay, will someone please explain why we need to 'fix' the PCV on UK GTI's in the first place - Thanks :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »

Okay, will someone please explain why we need to 'fix' the PCV on UK GTI's in the first place - Thanks :happy2:
Have a read of these RR.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4014933
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4115371
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:28:50 pm by bacillus »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:49:30 pm »
^^^^

Thanks for those links, bacillus :happy2: - Good bedtime reading!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:19:43 am »

Phil from BSH has stated that some folk with RHD cars have managed to mount the can over on the right hand side of the engine bay (when looking at the engine from the front) mirroring the original instructions. Whilst this is possible, routing the hoses may create a problem as space is at a premium.

One viable avenue to persue is to do a little drilling and use a different mounting position. The red circles in the pic demonstrate where you need to drill and use screws/bolts to hold the bracket.

Thanks for that (again) :smiley:
May also look at taking out the charcoal cannister.  I did this on my old VR6 golf.  If the Yanks don't have it, it can't be that important.  I think :confused:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:36:57 am by ukdub »
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:13 am »
I don't think the emission standard in the US is as tough as here in the EU hence the presence of it (charcoal cannister) on EU cars.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:38:46 pm »
so whats the concensus , should we be doing this?
The amount of fluid in those pics is  :surprised:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 09:17:12 am »
I think it is.  I have being looking at all these threads for over a year now, so I have put alot of thought into the PCV system on my car,  and what it is doing to it.  It is only there to make the tree huggers happy.  On my car, it sometimes feels so smooth to drive and other times it seems to be holding back and not as sharp.  I put this down to the PCV system and the cold weather.  Did to see all the water mixed in with the oil after they drained the catch can.  People put this down to cars in colder climates.  To me, this is what makes my car feel the way is does at this time of year.  Come spring all my little running problems that I have over the winter months just vanish like nothing was ever wrong.  It has been like this for the past 3 years.
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • gone old skool
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:38:09 am »
I originally put the EJ fix to see if it solves a slight boost loss.  I noticed  the PVC being either blocked or having the EJ fix on a few cars at GTI Inters this year.  The BSH is the newest and latest one time fix for it and looks good.  I am tempted to so it just to solve the problem once and for all.