Make a donation

Author Topic: Tuiton Detail - DW Member - Octavia vRS - RaceGlaze Black Label!!  (Read 5155 times)

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
I'm a little behind on my write ups at the moment so spending the bank holiday sharing my latest work with you.  This detail took place on Saturday and was my first dedicated Tuition Detail.  The owner of the car (a DW member from Leicester) wanted some help improving their machine polishing results and also wanted to improve the clarity of the paint on their car.

The tuition was a full end to end detail process beginning with a full wash and decontamination then followed by machine polishing and looking at how best to finish a car.  I also took the opportunity to have a play with my latest toy - RaceGlaze's very special 'Black Label' wax...

As ever, wheels were tackled first.

Initially the wheels were pre-rinsed with Kranzle K7 then followed up with Smart Wheels at 4:1

DSC06879 by RussZS, on Flickr

Agitated on the rear of the wheels with Wheel Woolies:

DSC06880 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06881 by RussZS, on Flickr

ValetPro brushes were used on the wheel faces:

DSC06883 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06884 by RussZS, on Flickr

We finished up with IronX to safely remove pittede brake dust from the wheels:

DSC06876 by RussZS, on Flickr

Next the car was foamed with Britemax Grime Out to break down the protection already on the car and also help aid the removal of traffic film and general dirt:

DSC06888 by RussZS, on Flickr

We followed this up with Surfex cut 2:1 and various brushes in the door/boot shuts, panel gaps, badges etc.

Next we washed the car with Britemax CleanMax and CarPro Mitt:

DSC06889 by RussZS, on Flickr

After rinsing, IronX was used liberally on the car to remove the fallout safely:

DSC06890 by RussZS, on Flickr

Tardis was used next to deal with a few isolated tar spots.  After this we moved the car inside to begin the claying process.

DSC06892 by RussZS, on Flickr

As ever with claying, it was found to be a worthwhile step as even though the tar and fallout has been removed, often residue such as tree sap remains, which must be removed from the paint ahead of any machine polishing.

Next up we dried the car and began to assess the paints' thickness and also went about identifying defects.  Some of the defects we found:

Sanding marks:

DSC06893 by RussZS, on Flickr

General swirling:

DSC06895 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06900 by RussZS, on Flickr

After initially exploring machine polishing - we tested both Makita and Festool Rotary to demonstrate the slight differences and nuances in machines, machine control, defect removal, where and how to mask up edges/rubbers and when etc we decided to explore using a DA Polisher and look at Microfibre polishing.

At this stage it was evident that some of the car had seen some paint and hadn't been finished down properly.  We discussed the possibility of looking at wet sanding these panels to improve the clarity but after having a play with a few different combinations using MF pads, we were impressed by the results...

DSC06904 by RussZS, on Flickr

This picture shows the levelling effect that using a MF pad can achieve.  The left side has been polished:

DSC06901 by RussZS, on Flickr

There is a very clear improvement in definition of the reflection of the light.

The combination we were using was also very effective at not only correcting the defects in the paint, levelling but also finishing down extremely well!

DSC06906 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06907 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06909 by RussZS, on Flickr

RDS removal was impressive too.

Before:

DSC06911 by RussZS, on Flickr

After:

DSC06912 by RussZS, on Flickr

Rear light correction:

DSC06916 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06913 by RussZS, on Flickr

On this particular car, this combination gave excellent results, but I did stress the point that the MF option may not be the best choice in every situation, but it's certainly as asset worth adding to any detailing arsenal and shows how DA is just as useful as a Rotary in certain situations.  The owner of the vRS also has a VW Mk5 Golf in grey so should see similar results with this combination on that - I think it's a write up we may see very soon... :)

We also discussed the issue of filling and how its important to use IPA/Eraser type product to assess a true level of correction and also how using various lighting sources helps identify different 'issues' that may be present in the paint (halogen, halide, sun gun style torch, tactical torch etc)

DSC06917 by RussZS, on Flickr

After polishing, I was feeling generous and wanted to have a play with my latest purchase so we put 2 layers (for even coverage) of RaceGlaze's Black Label wax on the car - some say a sealant is a better choice on silver, but this was very impressive indeed!!

DSC06920 by RussZS, on Flickr

Wax curing:

DSC06921 by RussZS, on Flickr

The beadings not bad either!!

DSC06922 by RussZS, on Flickr

We finished up with:

Mercury on the exhaust:

DSC06926 by RussZS, on Flickr

Crystal on the glass:

DSC06932 by RussZS, on Flickr

Mint Rims on the alloys:

DSC06943 by RussZS, on Flickr

Revive on the plastic trim:

DSC06941 by RussZS, on Flickr

and no car is complete without an Auto Finesse Air Freshener!!

DSC06948 by RussZS, on Flickr

So finally, after 10 intensive hours, we have...

DSC06933 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06934 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06935 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06937 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06938 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06939 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06944 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06945 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06946 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06947 by RussZS, on Flickr

and of course, some Tesco pics to show of the silver's glow!

DSC06949 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06950 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06952 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06953 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06955 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC06956 by RussZS, on Flickr

Thanks for reading :)

DSC06954 by RussZS, on Flickr

Russ.
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Tuiton Detail - DW Member - Octavia vRS - RaceGlaze Black Label!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:41 am »

:congrats: :congrats:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:26 am »
Very nice Russ.  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
Very good results, just spent today detailing my silver ED30 and trying to find the marks in the lighting proved very difficult.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391