Make a donation

Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Diesel Turbo Replacement, Hybrid or Standard Replacement???  (Read 1009 times)

Offline G-Lader

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Hi,

Looking for some views and opinions on replacement turbo’s to suit my wife’s BKD 140 diesel.

My wife had a 150 20vT Mk4 and when she drove the Mk5 she felt it was quite slow to pick up its heels when pulling out of a junction (not that she is a quick driver).
I never felt it was that bad but did understand where she was coming from......

Now that there are early signs of the turbo on its road out I was wondering what everyone else has done when faced with replacing the turbo....??

I quite like the idea that if it has to get replaced and there is not a massive difference in price if I would be as well as opting for a mild hybrid rather than a standard rebuild.
I’m not looking for it to be a road burner (LOL!!!  :driver:) but if I decide to get a remap and catless downpipe later on, I would see some sense in opting for the hybrid.  :pomppomp:

If I decide to go for a hybrid, would I have to get it mapped quickly or would it be okay on the standard map for now?
How does it drive on a hybrid in comparison to a standard turbo (more lag??)

For those who have opted for a hybrid, where have you bought from, are you happy with it and how much would I expect to pay??

Who would you recommend if I decide to go for a standard / rebuilt turbo and again, how much would I expect to pay for it??

Thanks in advance!
Des.

Offline subzero

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ive got the 2L GTTDI140 and was wanting to ask the same questions

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Most hybrids are just standard turbos with bigger comp/turbo housings and uprated internals so most of the time depending on what your going for the driving characteristics will be the same as oem but more exaggerated.  Like standard but on steds :grin:

I have the GT1756 and so the turbo is like a standard GT1749 but with a bigger comp housing.

Darren

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
A hybrid turbo won't "pick up" as quickly as the standard turbo (bigger turbo takes longer to spool up).

Maybe worth trying a remap and a panel filter - that will help response. Also a downpipe will improve things even further  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr