Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust question  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Exhaust question
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
What is the differance between a turbo back exhaust and a cat back exhaust? And is one significantly better than the other?

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
Re: Exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:30:41 am »
The turbo back simply means a full system from front to rear. A cat back is only the rear system from the cat convertor backwards. Both, if from the same manufacturer will be the same from the cat backwards.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:35:17 am »
The turbo back simply means a full system from front to rear. A cat back is only the rear system from the cat convertor backwards. Both, if from the same manufacturer will be the same from the cat backwards.

Right I see  :happy2:

If you were to have a cat back system fitted, could you get the front section fitted at a later date or does it all need to go in as one? Thanks.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:37:26 am »
You can have the front section fitted anytime :happy2:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:46 am »
Thanks for clearing that up  :happy2:

So is there a significant advantage of getting the full tbe system rather than just a cat back? Thanks

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:22 am »
The exhaist has 2 parts

1 - Downpipe with sports cat(From turbo to centre of the car..ish)    -   This is where the power gains come from.
2 - Cat back exhaust (from the centre of the car to the tail pipes)     -   This is where you get the gains in noise but not any power.

The TBE is both of the above in one package.  

The cat back will require no software tweaks.  The downpipe will normally requuire a map tweak to stage 2.

Id rather go the downpipe route personally.  I think the cat back is a waste of money.  More the icing on the cake if anything

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:00 am »
The exhaist has 2 parts

1 - Downpipe with sports cat(From turbo to centre of the car..ish)    -   This is where the power gains come from.
2 - Cat back exhaust (from the centre of the car to the tail pipes)     -   This is where you get the gains in noise but not any power.

The TBE is both of the above in one package.  

The cat back will require no software tweaks.  The downpipe will normally requuire a map tweak to stage 2.

Id rather go the downpipe route personally.  I think the cat back is a waste of money.  More the icing on the cake if anything

Thanks for that.

Is it possible to run a bigger down pipe without having a map (yet) or is this just not possible?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:52:51 am »
sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It will normally bring up the CEL.  Its not an issue tbh, just the car recognising the extra flow over the cat being much higher than normal so it thinks something is wrong.

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:10 am »
sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It will normally bring up the CEL.  Its not an issue tbh, just the car recognising the extra flow over the cat being much higher than normal so it thinks something is wrong.

Right, I presume that would cause an mot fail?

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
It would under the new regs, but a simle remap would fix that.  I opted for the TBE from BCS. It does make more noise than standard and I managed to embarass my neighbours 911 carrera II 3.6 for pure aural sound. However BCS do make a system which is actually quieter than standard but has all the beneifts of a performance system.
My exhaust is as I wanted it.  Quiet on part throttle and cruising but when you open the throttle it comes alive.  Even the missis approves so it must be good! :signLOL:

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:10:04 pm »
Yeah I want mine to have a nice rumble maybe a little louder than stock and like you say, come alive when I put my foot down!

The reason I ask is I'm putting an r32 rear on and was considering my options. I will be getting a remap in the future but can't afford at the moment. I thought maybe I could get the full tbe system with the bigger downpipe in preparation for getting the map later this year. I don't want problems with my mot that's coming up in the next few months.

You say a map with sort that, but I thought maps were turned off before getting an mot? Especially as mine is done at the dealers.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »
People put the oe map on when going to the dealers mainly so as not to void a warranty. Cars will pass the mot with the map on as long as the cat is in good nick and everything is working as it should. Mine recently sailed through the emissions test. BCS do the r32 pipes as an option  :party:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

You say a map with sort that, but I thought maps were turned off before getting an mot? Especially as mine is done at the dealers.

If it goes to VW crosshills, just let Ben know on reception, then he wont get the ecu updated, so to not wipe off the map. He isnt bothered by mods, will cover warranty thinsg also  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 53
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:56 pm »
People put the oe map on when going to the dealers mainly so as not to void a warranty. Cars will pass the mot with the map on as long as the cat is in good nick and everything is working as it should. Mine recently sailed through the emissions test. BCS do the r32 pipes as an option  :party:

This is the BCS cat back version on mine.   :happy2: