Make a donation

Author Topic: Would a remap make exhaust louder?  (Read 7262 times)

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Would a remap make exhaust louder?
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »
As title, Reason I ask is I want to get a Milltek Catback. Having checked 2 cars last weekend who both have Milltek cat backs, one is louder than the other? Even on idle.  Only difference is that the louder one has a stage 1 remap.

Looking at an exhaust that isnt drony but purrrs a little better than stock and has nice DSG farts (LOL)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Would a remap make exhaust louder?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:16:11 pm »
As title, Reason I ask is I want to get a Milltek Catback. Having checked 2 cars last weekend who both have Milltek cat backs, one is louder than the other? Even on idle.  Only difference is that the louder one has a stage 1 remap.

Looking at an exhaust that isnt drony but purrrs a little better than stock and has nice DSG farts (LOL)
I can't see a remap making a car louder on idle. Maybe the louder car had a precat delete on the standard downpipe? Under load, possibly. Also, it's not an exact science, two cars with the same map and same exhaust might sound a bit different. Most exhausts 'bed in' a bit over time and sound slightly different 6 months after they're fitted.

I'd just try and find a resonated cat back. The non res version is probably going to be louder than you'd like. Give Nige a ring at Powervalve, see if he'll do you a bit of forum discount

Or... stop fannying around with cat backs and get a turbo back   Even keeping the stock cat back and fitting a proper 3" downpipe with a sport cat would be a better idea I reckon, you'll be able to get a Stage 2 map and also get a nicer sound, with louder burps.

Offline mart.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:38:07 pm »
Are they both the same in terms of resonated and non-res? That could be the source of the difference in sound.

I've just had a non-res put on my cupra and it's not that loud. I'd have been disappointed with a resonated I think. I also had a map at rtech on Friday and there was no difference in sound pre and post map.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:39:57 pm by mart. »

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:01:32 pm »
Thanks AJP! :)

Mart: They are both Non res, the one which was quiter has the precat delete! lol Thanks for the info.

I think non res will be too quiet. I might have to check out what AJP said, leave the standard cat back and fit a sports cat and downpipe.

I think ill be going stage 1 only though

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:08:15 pm »
Thanks AJP! :)

Mart: They are both Non res, the one which was quiter has the precat delete! lol Thanks for the info.

I think non res will be too quiet. I might have to check out what AJP said, leave the standard cat back and fit a sports cat and downpipe.

I think ill be going stage 1 only though
You probably won't find a tuner that'd do a Stage 1 map if you had a bigger downpipe and sport cat/decat. It's that part specifically that qualifies a car for Stage 2. Plus it'd be pointless - a Stage 1 map is for cars with completely standard hardware. Stage 2 takes into account the extra flow capabilities and you get the right boost and fuelling as a result. Plus, a Stage 2 map would code out the exhaust warning light that a sport cat/decat can bring on. Stage 1 maps won't do that.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:11:31 pm »
Some good info there ^^  thanks again man

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk