Make a donation

Author Topic: Who has a forge spacer on?  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Who has a forge spacer on?
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:45 pm »
Just want to know how many people on the forum have these forge spacers on? Has there been any problems with running them? I know they are not for performance gain and just a noise maker, anyone?
GTI MK5 with all the gooodies

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Who has a forge spacer on?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:34 pm »
You'll lose around 20bhp & gain an annoying noise. Don't do it  :signLOL:
GTI going...

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »
A powerloss really? lol
I thought forge made this with enough research and they claim no powerloss as the the diverter is closed during acceleration and makes the sound only when throttle is released so how with the powerloss?
Also there is a proven dyno somehwere with it on and without and there was no powerloss?

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:03:16 pm »
I think it's because the OEM diverter valve recirculates the air unlike a dump valve. As the forge one lets the air out the system, the system is not functioning how it's designed to, hence the loss of power

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »
I think it's because the OEM diverter valve recirculates the air unlike a dump valve. As the forge one lets the air out the system, the system is not functioning how it's designed to, hence the loss of power

Its been proven on a dyno for no powerloss so am just a bit confused.

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »
Nick at R Tech did the test & it showed ~20bhp loss with the spacer. The engine isn't designed to work in this way
GTI going...

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:01 pm »
I was given one.  Fitted it and took it off a little after because it sounds GAY.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:59:09 pm »
I've got one - felt no powerloss at all so don't really understand that  :confused: - Im also removing this weekend as im fed up with the noise.

Novelty factor mate - for £20 - gained nothing, lost nothing and had a laugh  :happy2:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:15:51 pm »
I've got one - felt no powerloss at all so don't really understand that  :confused: - Im also removing this weekend as im fed up with the noise.

Novelty factor mate - for £20 - gained nothing, lost nothing and had a laugh  :happy2:

second that

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:26:21 pm »

Also recirculating just keeps the turbo spinning between shifts particularly but on such small turbo like these its hardly noticeable

plus just because its recirculating it doesn't add anything to the final bhp outcome of the machine, if you have power loss from a spacer or a after market blow of valve you havn't installed it properly simple as.

This whole forge spacer thing has been played over and over about whether it does or doesn't loose bhp
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:28:53 pm by nezquick »

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »
Read on:

From mike@forgemotorsport on Vortex...

Completely irrelevant to someone's personal preference concerning sound or the engine management system's requirements for valve function.....
.... whether the air is vented to the atmosphere or recirculated is completely irrelevant to spool or any amount of “lag” supposedly created.

A valve exists in a turbocharged system as a failsafe against such a thing altogether.

"Lag" would only be created if there were no valve in place at all, and the residual charge air inside the intercooler piping "backed up" into the compressor wheel at throttle lift slowing it down.

Whether an atmospheric or a recirculating valve is used to discharge the residual pressure, either valve is still able to vent at throttle lift allowing the compressor wheel to maintain it's rate of speed, thus preventing any reversion of pressure and inducing any “lag” or having an affect on spool.

The discharged air being recirculated back into the intake side of the system will have absolutely ZERO affect on spool as opposed to an atmospheric setup.

The intake side of the system is under constant vacuum vs. actual atmospheric pressure (altitude), so the only arguement that could be made is that the vacuum effect acting on the discharged/vented air somehow keeps the turbo spinning faster than if it's vented to the atmosphere. 

There is ZERO empirical evidence that one setup is more beneficial or detrimental than another in relation to compressor wheel speed.

If the use of an atmospheric valve is possible without any negative side effects concerning the engine management system of the application, as is the case on this vehicle, then it becomes purely a matter of personal preference.

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:56 pm »
i got one! come free with my remap lol.

it just puffs me meth lol.

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »
i got one! come free with my remap lol.

it just puffs me meth lol.

Are you running one with your map? Nick from R tech highly advises not to run those and also removed it from my mates gti while it was getting mapped so confused on why yours has it? lol

K04 power going on soon!

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:36:47 pm »
yea it is, he needed some bolts so he took mine and put this in its place lol.

they are rubbish, i can hear it getting stuck open some times so have to let off n on.

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
yea it is, he needed some bolts so he took mine and put this in its place lol.

they are rubbish, i can hear it getting stuck open some times so have to let off n on.

If you look at the spacer it cant get stuck open there is no valve it, if anything its your diverter and that would happen even if you didnt have the spacer on but you wouldnt hear it, The spacer just makes the diverters function more audible

K04 power going on soon!