Make a donation

Author Topic: Wing Rust Solution  (Read 8347 times)

CraigNiv

Wing Rust Solution
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:31:13 am »
A common problem in the mk5 has struck mine, rust in the front arches.

I'm going to replace the wings etc, however I have been quoted 850 for the full monty (parts/paint/labour).

This seems awful pricey, anyone had experience of best way to go about this, and prices?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Wing Rust Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:01 am »
May i ask if there's any hope for a rear wheel  arch rust warranty claim by anyone's experience? thanks

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:20 am »
A common problem in the mk5 has struck mine, rust in the front arches.

I'm going to replace the wings etc, however I have been quoted 850 for the full monty (parts/paint/labour).

This seems awful pricey, anyone had experience of best way to go about this, and prices?

surely this a free warranty issue...   :confused: have you approached an approved VW dealer before forking out?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:29:32 am »
It shouldn't matter where its been serviced as this wouldn't have caused the rust issue. Also its EU law that you can have a vehicle serviced anywhere and the warranty remains unaffected so there should be some hope. If the dealer don't play ball next step is to go through VW UK

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:31:28 am »
I have a 55 plate with rust on the front wings - it's been approved as a goodwill repair and I'm waiting on dates to book it in to the bodyshop.

If it makes you feel any better then my car has sparse VW history, but the inspector was spot on with me.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:20 am »
Mine has rust as well , 05 plate - this must be costing VW a fortune!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
Got a couple of small spots.

At what stage is it NOT classed a warranty work?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »
If your rust is on the front wing lip then it is not fixed under the paint/anti-corrosion warranty.
They may fix it due to goodwill as it is the outcome of a mechanical design flaw (plastic arch liner and foam holding water).

Any rust elsewhere on the car would be treated differently by the dealer I'd imagine (as it is a wholly seperate issue to this particular one) and the only way to know is to have it inspected.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
So all in all its at a dealers discretion to what the will or will not cover?

I'm 2nd owner and car has had fullt serivce history
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »
Noticed that some OEM mud flaps can hold water and cause a little rush on the lower part wing/skirt.

If these were factory fit (day one) do you think this would/could be covered?

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:10 am »
Just thismorning decided to look at the rush on my front near side wheel arch, Its at the top where the lining joins the arch. My car is an 05 tdi.... What can I say to VW, any chance they would fix it? I wont have any warrenty with them as the car is second hand... Newb :star:

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »
the warranty is on the car not the owner go to vw and ask to claim through the anti corrosion warranty. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:09 pm »
According to the inspector at Glasgow,

rust is only covered under the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty unless its coming through the middle of a panel or the panel sheet is physically crumbling.

However as I've said they will fix it under good-will or pay a percentage if it's in a target area, which is the front arches, and yes Chris where the arch meets the side skirt is also an area they will fix/pay % under good will.

....That's not strictly true. VW have actually released a PDF to their agents on causes and repairs including replacement - It's in the thread about rust warranty. Rust starts because of foam strips collecting moisture on earlier cars.

I got mine done recently free of charge and my car is 05-plate and over 100,000 miles.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »
i was flat out refused a warranty claim by cambridge VW. they wouldnt even submit it for consideration.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »
i was flat out refused a warranty claim by cambridge VW. they wouldnt even submit it for consideration.
I've also got rust around the rear boot handle that was also refused.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO