Make a donation

Author Topic: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 23rd Oct)....  (Read 87772 times)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
Re: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review....
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 04:12:12 pm »
great write up Robin as usual!

I needed spacers on UB for my full milltek exhaust to get enough clearance!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 04:33:20 pm »
You'll need to check those periodically, as I recall some folks using the extended studs experienced snapping/bending.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »

Paul

....Milltek Resonated or Non-Res version, Paul?

Clearance problem on your Milltek downpipe?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »
Robin, could you please let us know how long and how much effort it takes for you to remove the XB?

This something I could have been interested in but I could easily need the rear space unexpectedly. I would have liked some kind of "quick" removal system that could be done by hands eg leave in two locking bases and then the main XB could be lifted in/out within seconds.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »

Paul

I have non resonated version Robin!
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

Robin, could you please let us know how long and how much effort it takes for you to remove the XB?

This something I could have been interested in but I could easily need the rear space unexpectedly. I would have liked some kind of "quick" removal system that could be done by hands eg leave in two locking bases and then the main XB could be lifted in/out within seconds.

....Will do, Jas. I'll actually do it when I next get the car out in the next couple of days and post about it.

I had a phone chat earlier today with my BIALI mate Dan who has the Mk4 R32 with a XB and he says it's easy and just a matter of 4 Allen key bolts.

I think it will take a 3-4 minutes rather than seconds. Always best to only loosely attach by diagonals first and only tighten when all 4 corners are properly seated. The XB itself is easy to handle by one person as it only weighs 6 lb.

If the XB was secured by a method only taking seconds, it would most likely have its stiffening function very compromised.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:33:55 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »

Paul

I have non resonated version Robin!

....Sorry Paul - I hadn't read your detailed list of mods in your sig. So it's the Milltek downpipe which gave the clearance issue.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »

You'll need to check those periodically, as I recall some folks using the extended studs experienced snapping/bending.

....That's not very reassuring - I need to look into this.

EDIT:

I think that most of this will be down to people over tightening the stud bolts and shear is unlikely in the form that the latest UNIbrace spacers have been designed. Hand tighten plus another quarter is what I would expect as best practice unless a specific torque is instructed.

Meanwhile, my research suggests that by UNIbrace using large plate spacers the loads are spread and without subjecting everyone to a long physics lesson, forces on the studs are axial rather than shear.

But I will ask Bruce to comment here and hopefully reassure us.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 09:12:00 pm »
So without reading all the pages of the GB did Bruce give you options to buy spacers and some of you have and some haven't? No point buying them if you dont need them, but then also bit frustrating if you go to fit your UB and find that you then have to order additional spacers and wait for UNibraces to send them over!

How much are the spacers because most people fitting these will have a Milltek/Pipewerx/BCS/Blueflame I guess.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »
Spacers are $35 as per the website.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »

So without reading all the pages of the GB did Bruce give you options to buy spacers and some of you have and some haven't? No point buying them if you dont need them, but then also bit frustrating if you go to fit your UB and find that you then have to order additional spacers and wait for UNibraces to send them over!

How much are the spacers because most people fitting these will have a Milltek/Pipewerx/BCS/Blueflame I guess.

....Yes, Bruce via Dom gave us all the option to buy spacers as an extra. I bought a spacers set just in case and so to reduce hassle getting them later - It's a round trip of 340 miles for me to VWR.

As you rightly suggest, most folks going for the UNIbrace mods will already have performance mods and hence a high-flow performance exhaust system. Like a Quaife (or similar) diff, A UNIbrace only comes into play such that you are more aware of it when you are driving enthusiastically.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:48:25 pm by RedRobin »

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »
Spacers are $35 as per the website.   :smiley:

not bad then
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:02 am »
Hello Robin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This weekend was my first non seven day work week in over two months — a much needed rest!

Thanks for a very thorough and well documented review! A few small clarifications and comments:

1. The UNIbrace XB is .187" thk. Only the UNIbrace UB is .25".

2. Was the additional sound resonance you were hearing only when the rear seats were folded down? This would make more sense as the entire hatch then becomes a resonance chamber.

3. The comments that were referred to about the deep nuts or studs breaking have only been when people over torque the nuts. The instructions are very clear: "snug the nuts up, then another 1/4 turn with a 6-8" long rachet." I would also add that blue loctite can also be of benefit. This will stop the nuts from backing off.

4. Your analysis of the spacers and resultant forces on the studs is correct. Many people assume that since the studs look thin that they are not strong. This is not true! Steel is very strong in tension! The UNIbrace UB is very stiff. If the brace is properly positioned and the nuts properly torqued. The resulting forces on the studs is as as you mentioned, in tension.

5. Generally, most exhausts do not need the spacer kit. The general guideline is that if there is a resonator in the mid pipe and it is not larger than 4"Ø you will likely not need the spacer/deep nut kit. From my experience to date only the base non turbo Golf, the UR downpipe with it's HUGE tilted elliptical resonators and a MTM for the Golf R are the only ones that absolutely required the kit. In the US not that many people use the full Milltek, so this may also have to be added to the list. The spacer kit is rather inexpensive so if in doubt it is a useful insurance policy.

Hope this answers people's questions.

Best,

Bruce

....Hi Bruce and many thanks for your clarifications and information - My original review post has now been amended accordingly.

Although the UB is inevitably being discussed, I haven't fitted and experienced the UNIbrace UB yet and so my review is currently incomplete but will be updated and expanded in due course.

Re your point 2 on additional sound resonance, to date I have only tested the UNIbrace XB with both seats down. I now need to go back to that same stretch of road and test the XB with one seat up and then both seats up. I already know that I never experience any resonance with my seats down and no XB fitted. If my tests/trials result in resonance whenever the seats are down, then it will be reasonable to deduce that the XB acts to transfer sounds in a similar way to how aftermarket engine mounts do. In basic terms, sound is vibration and so what we would be hearing is, in a sense, the UNIbrace XB doing its job of transferring energy > vibration > sound.

I personally enjoy and love the Grrrrr sounds from my VWR engine mounts but the sound I heard from the XB was very unexpected and not a pleasant surprise at all - I would have to include it in my list of minus points. But l will firstly have breakfast and go off and test the subject on the same stretch of road (easy with a roundabout at each end) before making judgements and writing more.

It goes without saying that your time and input here is greatly appreciated by all, not just by myself  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:23:37 am by RedRobin »

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
There's some great points and discussion going on here...

Everything has its on natural frequency, maybe the road surface vibrated the car at the unibraces natural frequency, resonance... It will certainly be interested to see when driving the same road, if it happens again, and if varying speed affects the outcome...

Also if you are wanting to feel UB seperately, I would remove Xb, so you can remind yourself how it all feels without it, then add UB, obtain impressions on how it makes the car feel, then add the Xb on top for the full effect...

Look forward to these updates...

Dom
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »
There's some great points and discussion going on here...

Everything has its on natural frequency, maybe the road surface vibrated the car at the unibraces natural frequency, resonance... It will certainly be interested to see when driving the same road, if it happens again, and if varying speed affects the outcome...

Also if you are wanting to feel UB seperately, I would remove Xb, so you can remind yourself how it all feels without it, then add UB, obtain impressions on how it makes the car feel, then add the Xb on top for the full effect...

Look forward to these updates...

Dom

....Re standard, UB, XB, comparisons - That's more or less what I plan to do, Dom. Timing depends on when VWR can fit me in.

I have now driven exactly the same road with seats down and the extra sound has gone.