Make a donation

Author Topic: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 23rd Oct)....  (Read 88103 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review....
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:26 pm »

Fitted the UB this morning.  :happy2:

btw I have a Milltek TBE and didn't need the spacer kit.

....That's helpful to know  :happy2:

I have a custom round box on the exhaust pipe because there's so little material inside my back box, so I might still need my spacers - We'll see next Thursday 14th.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:28:16 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2012, 12:12:05 am »
Did some more 'testing' of the XB today on a particularly fast stretch of dual carriageway which you can carry a lot of speed into with rises and kinks and therefore subjecting the car's body to flex. Whereas my car always feels safe through there, it does have a tendency to show what I can best describe as 'nervousness' - The car stays on course but there are small amounts of movement which test my determination and are somewhat exhilerating! However, as now expected with the XB, all that 'nervousness' has disappeared and it feels rock steady at these high speed kinks even when overtaking through them when it is obviously important to stay in lane and not take the other car's door handles off! It's a short stretch of only about three quarters of a mile but one which is very satisfying to attack.

What is left for the UB to bring to the party, I wonder?

I wish I had bought an XB a while ago when there was an opportunity but I'm enjoying its definite benefits now. I now don't understand those who say it's not of much benefit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:00:38 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:55 am »
Nice one Robin! :happy2: Really glad you are feeling the benefits of the XB... I am also loving mine, even on standard suspension, it feels even more planted and stable and turns in so much more precise...

When can I say I told you so...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:35 am »

When can I say I told you so...

....Whenever you like!  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 08:22:22 am »
What I am deducing from further spirited driving with the XB is that the roadholding itself isn't necessarily greatly improved but that the stability and feedback is greatly improved and even more driving enjoyment is gained from my already good suspension setup.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Robin, if you're not nut locking your xb in place it would be worth getting a T-Handle allen key, and periodically checking the tightness of the bolts... Plus the t-handle allen key is the quickest tool to use if you need to remove so good to have in the glovebox...  :happy2:

Anymore reviews from other parties?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »

Robin, if you're not nut locking your xb in place it would be worth getting a T-Handle allen key, and periodically checking the tightness of the bolts... Plus the t-handle allen key is the quickest tool to use if you need to remove so good to have in the glovebox...  :happy2:

....Are you recommending I use different fixings (nuts?) instead of the flush Allen fixings supplied? If not flush, won't they foul the back of the seats when they are up?

Or are you saying that an Allen key T-handle tool would be better than this ratchet tool which I keep in the car anyway to use on my engine cover?:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

Robin, if you're not nut locking your xb in place it would be worth getting a T-Handle allen key, and periodically checking the tightness of the bolts... Plus the t-handle allen key is the quickest tool to use if you need to remove so good to have in the glovebox...  :happy2:

....Are you recommending I use different fixings (nuts?) instead of the flush Allen fixings supplied? If not flush, won't they foul the back of the seats when they are up?

Or are you saying that an Allen key T-handle tool would be better than this ratchet tool which I keep in the car anyway to use on my engine cover?:

Haha seems you one step ahead of me RR... No, use the fasteners supplied, and that tool looks spot on. Just periodically check the tightnesss if not using thread lock was really my point.... :happy2:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:24 pm »
Been out with the other half this morning so no spirited driving done (so far  :evilgrin: ). That being said, there is definitely something tangibly different and better about the car.  :happy2:

Firstly the car feels more "solid" while driving so much so that the wife commented the ride was firmer. On the bends it feels more more planted with sharper turn in and that it inspires confidence to drive a little faster.

Bear in mind I only have the UB so going by Robin's review of just the XB, having both XB and UB should make quite a difference in the car's overall handling charactistics.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:43:23 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Dom. As Bruce suggests, I can add some Blue Loctite. I am going to use the Blue Loctite on the UB on Thursday anyway.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:50 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Dom. As Bruce suggests, I can add some Blue Loctite. I am going to use the Blue Loctite on the UB on Thursday anyway.

Yeah just thought I'd mention it as I used some Blue Loctite today and gave mine a final tighten... Thursdays the day huh... Cool!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 04:39:09 pm »

Thursdays the day huh... Cool!

....Yup!  :party: - I will have driven at least 200 miles on just the UB by the time I get back home on Friday to add to my review here. I shall of course be taking the more 'interesting' route home  :driver: I hope it will have stopped raining though!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »
Waits once again for impressions of the UB and UB & XB together... :popcornsoda:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
Waits once again for impressions of the UB and UB & XB together... :popcornsoda:

Hope he's kept it on the road whilst testing...    :jumping:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 01:37:54 pm »

Hope he's kept it on the road whilst testing...    :jumping:

Yeah disclaimer - UB & XB does not give you increased amounts of grip to the road or make you an amazing driver... lol
Diesel Daily Hack.