Make a donation

Author Topic: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 23rd Oct)....  (Read 88591 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 23rd Oct)....
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:19 am »
Moved to London now RR but car is chilling on my parents' driveway in Yorkshire. Ta for the offer anyway :happy2:

problem i have is that the 3dr 8P is not available in the USA, so i'd prefer a UK distributor so I can check fitment first as even Bruce isn't 100% sure it would work

Save your money...take your partner out for a nice meal... ANYTHING!!!  :popcornsoda:

Not a fan?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8uaerm6uq8kumus47vn7n8etp1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2012, 12:39:32 am »
I just dont think there is ANY point in these mods, its snake oil..... your money could be put elsewhere in the car where you will feel benefit.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
your money could be put elsewhere in the car where you will feel benefit.

But you can feel a positive benefit with it fitted...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2012, 08:58:34 am »

I just dont think there is ANY point in these mods, its snake oil..... your money could be put elsewhere in the car where you will feel benefit.

....Rich, am I right in thinking that you say this without the experience of having tried a UNIbrace yourself?

It's ironic that you use the words: "where you will feel benefit" - Feeling benefit is exactly what I and others have experienced after fitting UNIbraces. As written in this review thread, I consciously tested back-to-back on exactly the same 40-mile very varied route each of the XB and UB braces independently and in combination and I was able to feel the differences.

Also, as written, I was very conscious of the possibility of any placebo effect but actual handling behaviour is physically tactile and not something restricted to being in the head.

You have only to look at the shapes of the XB and UB UNIbraces to see how their structures spread any stresses and that their anchorage points result in additionally stiffening the open box form of the Golf body. This then allows the suspension to work more and handling is effected positively when either driving hard or the road configuration has an input.

I can only say that my own direct experience of the UNIbrace mods is as I have already described. I am not urging everyone to buy UNIbraces - I am only sharing my opinions and experiences for others to make up their own minds, as indeed you have done.

[I will do my best to respond in a separate post to the 'test' which you keep mentioning - Hopefully today but I am quite busy]  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8uaerm6uq8kumus47vn7n8etp1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2012, 10:18:49 am »
So if they are so brilliant.... why isn't half the forum using them?  :popcornsoda:

Ill await your test results.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2012, 10:40:33 am »
What test is this?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
Re: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 18th June)....
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:58 am »
Still waiting for those shots of the under-brace, proving that it does pull the chassis straight...

Basically jack the car up from either side (one side only) just in front of the rear wheel from the sill. Try to fit UB... if you can fit UB no problem then its not working.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:54:47 am by richwig83 »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2012, 11:07:32 am »

So if they are so brilliant.... why isn't half the forum using them?  :popcornsoda:

Ill await your test results.  :happy2:

....The vast majority of the forum aren't using UNIbraces for a number of reasons, not in order of importance:

- They're not free!

- Not everyone wants to modify their car's handling (for a variety of reasons).

- Not many people like having a lattice girder (XB) dividing their load space when the back seats are down (even though it's easily removable and is excellent at retaining loads in place).

- Many trackday freaks have either got a roll-cage or a car which a UNIbrace doesn't fit or is of benefit to.

- People prioritise their purchases as they individually prefer and many prefer to go for only looks/styling or remap and exhaust sound and to hell with brakes and handling mods. (Nothing wrong with that).

As with all mods for the Mk5 GTI and its stable mates, you don't actually need them but they do further enhance your car in different ways.

Btw, I'm not intending to do your actual test as you describe it but to try to find answers to the question you have raised about "pulling the chassis straight" - I don't have either the tools or a pit to allow me to get under the car and I'm not paying someone to do it just for your test no matter how many delicious Scotch Eggs you give me!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:12:36 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2012, 11:19:25 am »
In that case then....

Forever a sceptic...

Rich

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:18 am »

In that case then....

Forever a sceptic...

Rich

....So are you saying that your mind is set in stone and that I shouldn't waste my time trying to find an answer for your 'pull chassis straight' question?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2012, 11:41:20 am »
I think a blind test is called for. Someone close to RR should adjudicate by taking off the XB and/or the UB and without checking which has been removed RR should go on a truncated version of his 40 mile test drive. Do this three or four times back to back with different combos (neither XB or UB, XB only, UB only, and both) and see if RR can work out which is fitted each time. (I wouldn't reveal the results to RR until the end.)

I know people are busy so that's not all that feasible, but it would be an interesting experiment :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2012, 11:47:16 am »
Well i have been reflecting a bit about these braces, the XB i follow both the intention behind the use and why some won't consider it.
The UB though it's an improvement over having nothing the fact it's "flat" makes me wonder how benificial it is compared with the "thingy" fitted to mine.
As i see it it's the cross stress it has to help so tube or other more 3d structures should offer better stress relief in that area or am i missing the point?
Mind you i'm not convinced of these before i see some track action with them fitted.

Please let me hear your thoughts  :notworthy:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

I think a blind test is called for. Someone close to RR should adjudicate by taking off the XB and/or the UB and without checking which has been removed RR should go on a truncated version of his 40 mile test drive. Do this three or four times back to back with different combos (neither XB or UB, XB only, UB only, and both) and see if RR can work out which is fitted each time. (I wouldn't reveal the results to RR until the end.)

I know people are busy so that's not all that feasible, but it would be an interesting experiment :happy2:

...."adjudicate"? - "Adjudicate" is a process which is reserved for resolving disputes in a formal court. Are my own tests/experiences, assessment and information which I have bothered to share in this forum's review of the UNIbrace products standing accused of being false?

"not all that feasible"? No it's not at all feasible is it. 4 short route (20 miles minimum to cover a variety of roads around here) adds up to about 80 miles. You gonna pay for my V-Power? - No, I thought not. A guaranteed flat surface and pit/lift-ramp is needed to install the UB properly - You got one which can be used free? - No, I thought not.

If you want to ignore what I have written about my experiences of the UNIbraces, I obviously have no problem with that. If you want to ask questions, as reading this thread shows, I am happy to try my best to answer or get answers. If you don't agree with my reported findings and/or don't want to install any UNIbraces - No problem, it's entirely up to you.

But I have done all the 'tests' I am happy to spend time and money doing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
I can see  how the XB boot brace can work.

But the UB, i cant really see having a huge difference unless your bouncing off of kerbs like a touring car driver as I cant really be that many other instances where you would get that much flex though the underbody in daily "fast road" driving

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2012, 02:10:56 pm »
The UB though it's an improvement over having nothing the fact it's "flat" makes me wonder how benificial it is compared with the "thingy" fitted to mine.
As i see it it's the cross stress it has to help so tube or other more 3d structures should offer better stress relief in that area or am i missing the point?
Mind you i'm not convinced of these before i see some track action with them fitted.

Please let me hear your thoughts  :notworthy:

I have to agree there.