Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 337655 times)

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »
Hi,
Could I request the PDF also.

Stevenburnett80@hotmail.com

Not sure if the dealer will do it, the car is a 54 plate.
Never even looked at it until I read about the wings today. Both mine are bubbling, left side far more than right.

Mine is a 54 plate and VW agreed to repair my wings at no cost to me (although it took a lot of arguing with VW to get them to do this!!) Don't let this put you off though, things have changed and they seem more willing to agree to pay 100% for the wings to be repaired / replaced.

Tailgate and sills are a different matter though!!

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18:56 am »
Got mine back last week after being in with VW Chelmsford for 5 days. New front right wing and sprayed, left wing repaired/altered and sprayed, tailgate repaired and painted all 100% free of charge. Must say they did a very very good job and were extremely helpful throughout it all!! Top marks  :happy2:

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:30 am »
Got mine back last week after being in with VW Chelmsford for 5 days. New front right wing and sprayed, left wing repaired/altered and sprayed, tailgate repaired and painted all 100% free of charge. Must say they did a very very good job and were extremely helpful throughout it all!! Top marks  :happy2:

Who did you deal with, chris or vince?

Both were very helpful with me and the results are great on everything. Another recommendation for them from me :happy2:

Clint1

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:07 am »
Had a call yesterday from vw hq saying will get the wings sorted free of charge. And are gonna look at the sills also. Its gone from 70/30 to 100% just by making a call to vw hq result :happy2:

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

Who did you deal with, chris or vince?

Both were very helpful with me and the results are great on everything. Another recommendation for them from me :happy2:

Dealt with both of them mate. Very good service and couldn't be more helpful! Top marks VW Chelmsford!!

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2012, 07:50:09 pm »
Finally got my GTI back today after a week and a half and it looks bloody amazing! They replaced the wings and tailgate, all blended in, they even replaced a side light that was out and gave me a new later type boot badge (my old one had white worm, what a luck!) New spoiler too... Cracking job, couldn't recommend Ridgeway bodyshop any higher  :jumpmove:

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »
I've got an 05 gti, rust issues with the wings and underneath the badge on the bootlid. Took it in to VW Audenshaw about 6 weeks ago where they took paint readings and pics etc and said would get back to me.

2 weeks later got a phone call asking me to come back into the bodyshop to have my wings and bootlid grinded down? anyone else come across this?

they took more pics and said they would get  back to me in a a weeks time.

4 weeks later i'm still waiting and everytime i ring the bodyshop they tell me they're waiting on my local dealer.

my gti's strapped up in black tape over the areas they grinded down which is annoying the hell out of me.

any ideas on next steps?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »
I've got an 05 gti, rust issues with the wings and underneath the badge on the bootlid. Took it in to VW Audenshaw about 6 weeks ago where they took paint readings and pics etc and said would get back to me.

2 weeks later got a phone call asking me to come back into the bodyshop to have my wings and bootlid grinded down? anyone else come across this?

they took more pics and said they would get  back to me in a a weeks time.

4 weeks later i'm still waiting and everytime i ring the bodyshop they tell me they're waiting on my local dealer.

my gti's strapped up in black tape over the areas they grinded down which is annoying the hell out of me.

any ideas on next steps?

....Speak to the boss at the dealership, explain the history and make it clear (politely) that you very dissatisfied with the delay and you'd be grateful if he could get things speeded up.

If you get no joy from the dealer, escalate it up to VW UK but give your dealer this last opportunity to put things right. It's very poor customer service and you aren't happy to play piggy in the middle between dealer and their bodyshop.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2012, 03:30:33 pm »
ok rang local dealer. the guy seemed sound and said he had tried submitting my claim 5 times already. not sure if he was palming me off or whether he had genuine IT issues BUT

wings are getting sorted out for free :)

70/30 on the tailgate. wasnt budging from that as he said the gti was only 7 yrs old...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:44:50 pm by shirre »

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »
ok rang local dealer. the guy seemed sound and said he had tried submitting my claim 5 times already. not sure if he was palming me off or whether he had genuine IT issues BUT

70/30 on the tailgate. wasnt budging from that as he said the gti was only 7 yrs old...

VW told me they'd only pay 70% on the tailgate originally but they paid 90% in the end - I ended up paying £140 for two new wings and a new tailgate, all painted, blended and looking splendid! :happy2:

:jumpmove:

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2012, 03:51:39 pm »
P.S. Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me get the above result  :drinking:

Offline shirre

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2012, 03:53:49 pm »

VW told me they'd only pay 70% on the tailgate originally but they paid 90% in the end - I ended up paying £140 for two new wings and a new tailgate, all painted, blended and looking splendid! :happy2:

Nice one! how did you get them upto 90%?

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »
Mine finally goes in to Western VW Edinburgh on Monday 20th August , its took about 7 weeks of waiting , but i take it they must be busy. VW are paying 100% of the cost , just the wings that are away on mine , everywhere else is fine. Sods law though that Ive booked a stand place at VW Festival on our stand the weekend I have to take it up (taking it up this Saturday), I hope they give the the ED35 they said they would , or I will be giving the show a miss!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:40 pm »

....Ah, good news of some progress: Free wings repair  :happy2:

I don't quite understand the "only 7 yrs old" resistance on the tailgate issue. If it's "only" 7 yrs old then that suggests that there's even less justification in the rust being acceptable. As I understand it, bodywork rust warranty on the Mk5 is 12 years.

However, reports from owners seem to be suggesting that VW consider the wings rust issue to be a design fault (rust resulting from the wings design including strips of foam which collect moisture). That's as may be but surely rust shouldn't occur within the 12 year period? Or is body warranty only 6 years?

[Thanks for the Thank You - It's always appreciated  :happy2:]

And a Warm Welcome to the forum!  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2012, 04:28:00 pm »

Nice one! how did you get them upto 90%?

I was speaking to VWUK because they originally told me I'd have to pay 30% of everything which worked out at about £650 - I was mainly campaigning for the wings to be free tbh, but in the end they reduced the tailgate payment to 10% without me even asking... So I guess I'm just lucky   :innocent:  :grin: