Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 337191 times)

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:22 am »

i have actually mentioned this to my wife, who works for the BBC. She said I should try all avenues available to me first, and then if nothing is still forthcoming from VW, she will make a few phone calls and see where the likes of me stand.

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #541 on: September 30, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
Now this could become very interesting....... :popcornsoda:
3dr black 56 GTi, Rcd510 DAB + Blaupunkt sharkfin finally completed.....

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: September 30, 2013, 05:51:45 pm »
Must be costing vwuk too much I'm guessing it's maybe a group action consumer protest to watchdog with the support of evidence from this thread to highlight vw change and difference in costs and the unfairness

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:33 pm »
Must be costing vwuk too much I'm guessing it's maybe a group action consumer protest to watchdog with the support of evidence from this thread to highlight vw change and difference in costs and the unfairness

Can you imagine how many Mk5s worldwide will be needing ths done? The Passat goes the same way as well I hear , it must be costing them an absolute fortune!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #544 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
Can I also have this PDF sent to me please, looks like I better get on this sooner rather than later as it might end up they wont do any at all!!  :sad1:

just as a sideline to this has no one ever thought of writing to watchdog about this issue as ive seen stuff like this come up on their program before and with the high profile of the show and possible bad PR they seem to come around, specially as many many others have gotten them fixed for free and now we cant!!

They won't change their stance anyway.
I went through everything with my old car (and this GTI!)

Your only hope is to ask if the bodyshop is prepared to do any additional goodwill which will be matched by VW. EG VW UK offer 50%. Local retailer offer 25% and VW UK normally match additional dealer based contributions.
My dealer would not do any more than 50% and only by paying a large amount of money to get my bumper and bonnet resprayed, did they do the wings for free. I argued with it, presented them with reasoned arguments, letters and emails to senior managers within the UK, and in the end cut my losses as I could not be bothered.

You can buy pattern wings for about £30 each and to spray and blend would probably be around £350 both sides
So not really any price difference...

I would probably just buy pattern wings.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:02:58 am by xjay1337 »

Ryanedition30

« Reply #545 on: October 01, 2013, 10:42:10 am »
Hello guys,

I took mine in today (After 9 weeks of trying to book it in but the only guy that could do it being either ill or on holiday).

He told me he can only do 50% for each wing and thats based on my car being a 54 Plate and because previous owners only used vw for servicing until 60k.

That sounds like absolute bull to me and an excuse to get out of honoring their own warranty.

Has anyone else had this and what did they do next? My friend works there and told me basically to kick up a fuss until thy agree to replace it all FOC.

Thanks Ryan

afinchysparky

« Reply #546 on: October 01, 2013, 04:39:20 pm »

another slap in the face to owners like me who were flat refused any warranty work from the dealer and told to consult the dealer when I called vw customer service.

Dear VW... FCUK YOU.

....Have you tried referring them to the VW PDF document which recognises the fault and instructs how VW dealers should fix it?

No i need to find it and print it out. TBH i think I'll try the dealer in the next town which is a different franchise as well but would be handy to have this as ammo incase they are just as useless.

The down side is I bought it used from a guy in scotland so I have no history of taking it to my local dealer. Plus side is its got a VW history all be it at the scottish dealer.
Hi mate just thought i would let you know how i got on........ i took my car to my local dealer in Evesham and he was next to useless offering me 50% and no more, i then went to another dealer in hereford and they said the same so i raised my voice a little and kicked up a bit of a fuss saying that i will accept no less than 100% and he went away came back and said yes!! It is a load of crap about goodwill, it's a factory fault thats causing this and needs to be fixed regardless of service history, whether you have been there before or however many owners it's had i would have taken it to court and you need to threaten that too as there are a lot of people that have had it done for free put your foot down!!

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2013, 04:48:32 pm »
My dads experience is what we all want; both wings replaced 100% free, he bought the Polo 2 months previously 2nd hand from VW Benfield.
 Now the very same dealership and the rest are fobbing us off with this "new" policy. Clearly VW has turned the screws from a financial point of view, this problem stretches wide across their whole range of cars dating way back to 2005. Google searching highlights this rusty wing issue as a worldwide problem for them.
 All we want is reasonable customer service,attention and outcome from them and not this bullsh*t waiting times, bullsh*t price quotes and bullsh*t excuses....

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:28 pm »

another slap in the face to owners like me who were flat refused any warranty work from the dealer and told to consult the dealer when I called vw customer service.

Dear VW... FCUK YOU.

....Have you tried referring them to the VW PDF document which recognises the fault and instructs how VW dealers should fix it?

No i need to find it and print it out. TBH i think I'll try the dealer in the next town which is a different franchise as well but would be handy to have this as ammo incase they are just as useless.

The down side is I bought it used from a guy in scotland so I have no history of taking it to my local dealer. Plus side is its got a VW history all be it at the scottish dealer.
Hi mate just thought i would let you know how i got on........ i took my car to my local dealer in Evesham and he was next to useless offering me 50% and no more, i then went to another dealer in hereford and they said the same so i raised my voice a little and kicked up a bit of a fuss saying that i will accept no less than 100% and he went away came back and said yes!! It is a load of crap about goodwill, it's a factory fault thats causing this and needs to be fixed regardless of service history, whether you have been there before or however many owners it's had i would have taken it to court and you need to threaten that too as there are a lot of people that have had it done for free put your foot down!!

The info above is from June 2012......... VW policy has changed since then mate.....for the worse. I took the pdf on my 3rd visit/plea, the fella said his hands were tied to 50% and only IF they have not been previously painted/repaired, otherwise its zero discount.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: October 01, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
I would perservere. I told a friend about the pdf & known issue, car had inspection two weeks ago.

Car is a '54' plate GTI, 108k, FVWSH, but spent most of its life in Germany (serviceman previous owner).

Called today offering 50%, told them they were wasting his time. Called back 5 mins later, offered 70% with dealership contributing the other 30%, so basically FOC. Only doing his NS wing and sill as the OS has been painted at somepoint, but they are also covering the boot lid.

Never give up.

:happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
I'd like to get this done, my wings are bubbling quite badly along the arches :sick:
Does anyone know if this warranty is likely applicable to 1.6 FSIs?
Or if there is a way of checking if my car is eligible?

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #551 on: October 10, 2013, 07:10:36 pm »
I'd like to get this done, my wings are bubbling quite badly along the arches :sick:
Does anyone know if this warranty is likely applicable to 1.6 FSIs?
Or if there is a way of checking if my car is eligible?

Really there's no reason why they shouldn't do yours. However they have always called the repairs a "goodwill gesture" and said it is not officially covered by rust warranty. It's a bit of a lottery as to whether they agree to repairs or not especially now that they are refusing more than ever.  I guess it's at least worth trying, you might get lucky!
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #552 on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
I would perservere. I told a friend about the pdf & known issue, car had inspection two weeks ago.

Car is a '54' plate GTI, 108k, FVWSH, but spent most of its life in Germany (serviceman previous owner).

Called today offering 50%, told them they were wasting his time. Called back 5 mins later, offered 70% with dealership contributing the other 30%, so basically FOC. Only doing his NS wing and sill as the OS has been painted at somepoint, but they are also covering the boot lid.

Never give up.

Really????  :surprised:        So VW rang a customer back offering 70% and the Dealership contributing the other 30% for; a wing, sill AND bootlid??? ......mmmmmm.
 Its not normally a dealership cost in any shape or form tho in these circumstances yes?.
 We/I have been led to believe and understand that VW UK foots the bill for any goodwill work at no cost to any local dealership. The dealerships are re-embursed the full 100% of any costs incurred.
I can only presume that some form of extra work is being carried out and paid for by the customer on top of the above work mentioned in this case. I apologise if I sound in disbelief, but after mine and others recent treatment and the feedback mentioned here and other VW forums, I cant believe for a second that they would do what you have described mate, esp on a 9yr old car with over 100k on it  :confused:
Would love to know which dealership this is also, then we can all use this awesome outcome to our benefit  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: October 10, 2013, 08:31:27 pm »

Never give up.

Really????  :surprised:        So VW rang a customer back offering 70% and the Dealership contributing the other 30% for; a wing, sill AND bootlid??? ......mmmmmm.
 Its not normally a dealership cost in any shape or form tho in these circumstances yes?.
 We/I have been led to believe and understand that VW UK foots the bill for any goodwill work at no cost to any local dealership. The dealerships are re-embursed the full 100% of any costs incurred.
I can only presume that some form of extra work is being carried out and paid for by the customer on top of the above work mentioned in this case. I apologise if I sound in disbelief, but after mine and others recent treatment and the feedback mentioned here and other VW forums, I cant believe for a second that they would do what you have described mate, esp on a 9yr old car with over 100k on it  :confused:
Would love to know which dealership this is also, then we can all use this awesome outcome to our benefit  :happy2:

There is definately no cost to my mate having the work done. The quote for the wing declined was approx £700, so he laughed and said i'll leave that one.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline jonnboyy69

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #554 on: October 10, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »
£700 for the wing sorted.... omfg not surprised he baulked at that, would've done the same, that price amounts to theft in my eyes!