Make a donation

Author Topic: ipods in MK5's?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
ipods in MK5's?
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:03:20 pm »
Hi guys, picking my Mk5 up next week,
Currently have a MK3 with an aftermarket stereo with an ipod kit,
What would you guys reccomend for a MK5 Ipod player?
Ideally want a stereo that aI dont have to take the Fascia out of, as if i take out sat nav, keys, ipod and stereo my pockets are a bit bulged, Have heard of ones for the armrests, can anyone shed some light and give me as much info as they can type?  :nerd:

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: ipods in MK5's?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:28 pm »
Have a look in the Sat Nav and audio section as there are quite a few threads on this  :happy2:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:12:09 pm »
I have the factory supplied IPOD mount in the armrest.

Firstly if you have a 6 disk changer in there its easy to swap as its the same cable / connection you just need to buy the insert from the stealers.  If you don't have anything there at the moment you will obviously need the cable (standard VW cd multichanger cable).

But frankly I wouldn't.

* It does what it says on the tin but by mimickng a 6 disk changer.  CD 1-5 is your playlists (only 5 mind) and CD 6 just plays the entire content of your IPOD.  No track names come up on the screen, only numbers...

* I have a second gen ipod touch.  Due to a change in the way the pins are assigned on the IPOD it doesn't charge from the car and the lid doesn't shut all the way on the armrest so passenger have to be told to be carefull that they don't break my IPOD  :mad:

*  I had a NANO which let the lid shut fine and charged OK (one of the old tall/slim ones) but it kept jumping out of the housing as I don't have the correct inserts...

You would be better off getting an aftermarket kit and keeping the pod in your glovebox.  I've heard good things about the DENISON? kit.  On the bright side fitting any of them should be reasonably straightforward as there is a plug on the back of the standard stereo's for this....

HTH
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:45:56 pm »
think dealers will fit in the glovebox for 150 notes i got mine thrown i when bought the car. but as said cant see track names and scrolling through tracks on the headunit is a nightmare! i just grab the ipod and change tracks when stuck in traffic!  :rolleye:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!