Make a donation

Author Topic: Making White Champion again - Honda Integra Type-R DC5 - Auto Finesse Power Seal  (Read 3457 times)

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
I've been a long standing fan of the JDM Type-R models including the CW EP3 Civic, the DC2 and FD2 Civic.  The DC5 though has to be my favourite, so I really enjoyed this one…

DSC07650 by RussZS, on Flickr

The wheels were dealt with first...

Before:

DSC07656 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07657 by RussZS, on Flickr

Nothing too bad on these, just light soiling from road grime and brake dust. 

The wheels were pressure rinsed first with a Kranzle K7, to remove as much of the dirt build up as possible, before making physical contact with the wheels:

DSC07658 by RussZS, on Flickr

AutoSmart Smart Wheels mixed 10:1 with water, was liberally applied to the wheels:

DSC07662 by RussZS, on Flickr

and worked with various brushes:

DSC07663 by RussZS, on Flickr

The tyres and arches were treated with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD mixed 10:1 water and worked with various brushes:

DSC07666 by RussZS, on Flickr

and rinsed:

DSC07673 by RussZS, on Flickr

Next up I decided to test CarPro's new IronX Snow Soap, which promises to act as a snow foam to clean the paintwork and also to replace IronX as a fallout remover - so potentially a great time saver when pushed for time on a single day detail such as this one!

DSC07652 by RussZS, on Flickr

As per instructions this was used neat as a foam:

DSC07653 by RussZS, on Flickr

So 500ml (£10!!) was poured into my foam lance then applied to the car via Kranzle K7:

DSC07674 by RussZS, on Flickr

The foam itself was decent enough in terms of thickness and cling time.  The foam was left for 10-15 mins to works its 'magic'…

DSC07675 by RussZS, on Flickr

It looked promising with a decent amount of 'purple' (indicative view that the product is working) run off on the paintwork:

DSC07679 by RussZS, on Flickr

The car was then rinsed clean, but the cleaning power of Snow Soap wasn't as good as the better snow foams out there.

From here I felt that I still needed to wash the car using a mitt and shampoo, so CarPro Mitt, BriteMax CleanMax and Zaino bucket system were used:

DSC07655 by RussZS, on Flickr

The more intricate areas needed further agitation after the foaming so I used Surfex:

DSC07667 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07670 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07672 by RussZS, on Flickr

(the darker areas are where paint has worn off, not dirt)

The car was then rinsed again.

At this stage, despite some reaction from Snow Soap, i decided to use IronX on a few areas to see if anything else could be removed, as I was surprised at how little we saw from the Snow Soap…

DSC07681 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07683 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07684 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07685 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07686 by RussZS, on Flickr

I'm not really sure of the purpose of Snow Soap - IronX worked wonders as ever and reacted in a way that suggested that the Snow Soap in fact did very little.  At £10 per use, its extremely expensive and not something I'd use again on the basis of this test.  TRIX also disappointed me recently when compared to IronX and Tardis, which seemed to not only react more quickly, but also more effectively.

Tardis was used next to remove the tar deposits present on the car, safely:

DSC07689 by RussZS, on Flickr

The DC5 was then re-foamed with a deliberately watery mixture to lure any trapped IronX out of shuts and panel gaps:

DSC07694 by RussZS, on Flickr

As the final part of the decontamination process, the Teg was moved inside and clayed using Auto Finesse's Clay and Glide:

DSC07696 by RussZS, on Flickr

Then the car was dried using Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel:

DSC07701 by RussZS, on Flickr

Ahead of machine polishing, all of the paintwork was assessed under various lights to look for particular defects and signs of repair work or resprays and also the paint thickness was assessed to look for high/low spots.

The car read an average of 125 microns:

DSC07703 by RussZS, on Flickr

After assessing a few combinations, it seemed that the paint was surprisingly hard (and a little thin) so we opted for Meguiars M101 on a 3M Polishing Pad via Festool Rotary, which did a great job of clearing up the severely oxidised paint!  It finished down extremely well too, but the paint was still refined using a new finishing polish we have on test, via DA.

Some correction shots:

DSC07705 by RussZS, on Flickr

Some deeper defects remain (light scratch evident in the pic above) but this car was booked in for our Light Correction service which takes a single day, multiple polishing sets would be required to remove any deeper defects, which would take 2 days and our Full Correction service.

DSC07710 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07718 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07740 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07742 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07743 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07747 by RussZS, on Flickr

This pic shows the very obvious difference in colour we were achieving from our polishing processes:

DSC07750 by RussZS, on Flickr

(right side has been polished)

and under lighting:

DSC07753 by RussZS, on Flickr

The areas are the badges had particularly bad build up of dirt, which even Surfex couldn't remove, so cotton wool buds and Meguiars 205 were used to sort this:

DSC07785 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07787 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07788 by RussZS, on Flickr

We finished up with Tough Prep and Power Seal (both via DA)

DSC07755 by RussZS, on Flickr

Satin was used on the tyres:

DSC07756 by RussZS, on Flickr

Before:

DSC07757 by RussZS, on Flickr

After:

DSC07758 by RussZS, on Flickr

Very, very nice to use and a great finish!!  AF have really nailed the tyre dressing with this one!!

and finally, some afters:

DSC07764 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07766 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07767 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07772 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07777 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07778 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07779 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07792 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07793 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07795 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07796 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07797 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07799 by RussZS, on Flickr

DSC07802 by RussZS, on Flickr

I really enjoyed this one!!

Thanks for reading…

DSC07801 by RussZS, on Flickr

Russ.
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline xjscx

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Good work  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
try using the snow soap thru a sprayer or pump direct onto a wash mitt and apply, lasts longer and works better.
how do you rate the new af sealants over products like werkstat or cg jetseal 109?