Make a donation

Author Topic: **HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement **Photos Fixed**  (Read 82529 times)

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: **HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »
Have a trip past your local breakers to look at the item and you'll see the ring I'm on about worth the effort cause you don't want to damage the door skin!

Offline mattp244

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »
The only problem is I have no way at getting at the mechanism to have a look at it, I tried opening the door skin to get access, but it won't go far enough to get a proper look in there to have a play about

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
My thoughts is take the T20 bolt out and jiggle the blank barrel to work the ring lose as there's nothing else but corrosion to keep it in.

Offline Swampy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 11:39:07 am »
Thanks for this! I completed this on a rear door of mine a couple of weekends back. I fitted a new module and also a new handle carrier - the door now unlocks and opens as it should!

thanks  :jumpmove:

StGiles

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2015, 10:39:53 pm »
Absolutely great guide Matto, many thanks.
Stealers wanted £145 for the lock + £100 to fit, after reading your guide I decided to go eBay for £30 and 2hrs of my time on a Saturday morning.
The only problem I had was during the re-fit, securing the door handle key/blank barrel was proving difficult. After tightening the lock handle carrier retaining screw the key/blank barrel was loose and would just pull out. Each time the beveled metal piece on the handle carrier kept falling off. It seemed the closed (i.e. normal positioned) door handle was pushing the beveled piece off the carrier before I could tighten the retaining screw. After putting on/taking off the skin 4 times to get the beveled piece back in place it very slowly dawned on me that you need to pull & hold the door handle lever (in the door opening position) and hold the key/blank barrel firmly with your thumb whilst tightening up the retaining screw. The new lock is working just fine and I hope this makes sense! :rolleye:

Offline D3mon_Hunt3r

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Smokey Life
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 11:34:37 pm »
I really need to do this my passenger actuator is nearly dying... It's been going like this for 2 years...
Recently has been acting up a lot more, to the point i can't open it unless i loose 3 minutes attempting to lock/unlock...

Offline LukeTabasco

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
Brilliant guide!! Replace my driver side passenger door lock this morning. Took about 2 hours, but forgot to get the 12 spline m6 bit so had to go to halfords in the middle aha! Thanks again!

Offline Carl_GTD

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
Hi, I'm new on the forum, my front passenger door has stopped locking /unlocking.
This guide is perfect for changing the lock but does anyone have a way of getting the door to unlock. I've tried hitting the door and spent about an hour pressing the unlock buttons whilst pulling the door handle (both inside and outside) any help would be greatly appreciate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline waj27

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »
 :notworthy:

Offline BlackRabbit

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »
Anyone know the part number for the rear door on a 5 door? Mine's just gone -.-

Offline manc01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 11:15:07 pm »
Hi my front passenger door lock stopped working today, but started up after couple mins, so looks like need to change this motor. Next question anyone that's done it before care to earn some money and do it for me? Let me know what u charge labour wise? I'm in west London?

Offline slim08

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »
I've done a lot of reading on the forums, but this is my first post.

Matto, I owe you big time. What bloody incredible guide! I'm no mechanic, but I always do my own repairs - I couldn't have replaced this part so quickly and efficiently without your help. I really enjoyable job this was, and really satisfying to finally have the problem solved.

Fitted the new lock to my passenger side... now I need to find a new lock for the drivers side! Same problem.

Thanks again

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2015, 02:39:34 pm »
I've done a lot of reading on the forums, but this is my first post.

Matto, I owe you big time. What bloody incredible guide! I'm no mechanic, but I always do my own repairs - I couldn't have replaced this part so quickly and efficiently without your help. I really enjoyable job this was, and really satisfying to finally have the problem solved.

Fitted the new lock to my passenger side... now I need to find a new lock for the drivers side! Same problem.

Thanks again

No worries and glad it helped you out. I know what you mean about an enjoyable job. As far as repairs on these things go, its one of the less horrible ones  :signLOL:

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:38 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with the non-genuine door locks available on eBay? One of mines gone and I don't know whether to pay genuine prices or go with a cheapo one..

Offline ALIAHMET

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »
I bought one off ebay, not happy with it.

I have to pull the door handle twice for it to open.

I would pay a little extra and go original - I wish I did.