Make a donation

Author Topic: Best Spring Rates?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Best Spring Rates?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »

I just bought myself a set of VWR KW-V3 and I'm thinking now that they will be too stiff. These will replace my KW V2 which I love, but need more settings.
My car is a daily and twice a year I go to Hungaroring race track for some fun.

Can I order a custom spring for V3 to use it as day to day? Or how's the softest setting V3 compared with softest V2?

....I think it will all be down to how well your car gets setup with the V3's - Don't go to the very lowest adjustment. I haven't driven V2's (AFAIK) but I find my V3's absolutely spot on for fast road and haven't felt any problems with them on trackdays either.

I haven't felt the need to adjust mine but apparently it's fiddly and the Bilsteins adjust much more easily.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline drsilviuro

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »
You're telling me that you have the same adjustment for track and on the road? Isn't that to soft? My V2 on softest are a little bit harder than stock (I have an A3 with oem sport suspension) and don't like them on the track.
AFAIK Bilsteins have only one knob for adjusting compression and rebound at the same time. It might be more user friendly, but I like to experiment.
The only real problem is that I have to take off rear strut for settings.
Being progressive springs and rated same as Clubsports (linear), don't know how similar they are. I think more comfortable but who knows?!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:57 pm »

You're telling me that you have the same adjustment for track and on the road? Isn't that too soft? My V2 on softest are a little bit harder than stock (I have an A3 with oem sport suspension) and don't like them on the track.

....Yes, I don't re-adjust them. Not too soft at all - I have other suspension and chassis mods which give me a very taut and tactile ride. On the rare occasions I do trackdays I don't go for lap times and just drive as I do on any road (whenever safe road conditions allow). Of course I can't ride speed bumps or potholes at more than about 5 mph I but don't want to anyway - My ground clearance is only 95mm.

The setup has been done professionally and not by me experimenting.

What is "comfortable" is very subjective. All the OEM 'Sport' settings on cars I have driven (VAG) don't satisfy me on the road. I've spent decades riding racing bicycles with no suspension and 150 psi on the road - I like to feel the road.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »
I found my V3's less crashy and rode better than standard on my R32, though gave a much taughter ride in the corners... Ride comfort is very subjective... I like my cars quite stiff, which is why I have to go with adjustable dampening... Couldn;t fit v1's say and know that's it, would wanna be able to stiffen them up which the dampening has more effect on...

Set up is key... Though unlike robin, i like to play, luckily the GAZ shocks have a simple dial on the rears and top adjustable on the front. :)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 08:20:57 pm »

Is the valving in the shocks the same in V2 / V3?