Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick wash?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Quick wash?
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:44:30 pm »
A week before the stafford meet, I detailed the car best as I could. Managed only one layer of collies because I was applying it by hand in the dark (5pm by then). Since then, the car's been real mucky.

Would a quick rinse off be enough to get rid of all the dirt or would I need to do a full detail again? Managed to soak and wipe some bird poo off without it leaving any marks on (didn't realise it was there for abotu four days!).

Also how do I prevent the old collies coming off (so I can apply more)?
And how do I take all the collies off if I want to start from a fresh base again?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Quick wash?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:05:08 pm »
Which Collinite are you using? 476, 915 or 845?

I would wash and dry the car thoroughly again. You'll be able to see when you clean it properly how the water is beading / sheeting as to how the wax is standing up. At this stage in winter, I would try to get another coat of wax on. You should be fine to just apply on top of what you have already done, then look to strip the wax / oilush the car in the Spring and reapply some more wax then.

I use 845 on my work car (3 coats) and it's sooo easy to apply and yet still very durable.    :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:33:41 pm »
476s

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:43:29 pm »
i find sealants the best for the "blast off the dirt" usefullness.

What I tend to do with a fully detailed car (of mine) is snow foam the car, then blast it off with the pressure washer. That does about 90% of the car. I sheet the water off with the hose,  they i'm done. this means i dont touch the paintwork, thus reducing the risk for any marring of the paint.

I do this every week or so and when i get chance, maybe 2-3 weeks when im busy ill give it a proper wash.

Zaino stuff is great for this.

So in summary, you can just give the car a rinse. If you have a pressure washer, you'll get the car pretty clean.

you can also buy some proper shampoo and a wash mitt. washing with this wont strip the wax. if you dry the car after, you apply another coat of colly! ;)

hope this helps! :)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:41:07 pm »
you can also buy some proper shampoo and a wash mitt. washing with this wont strip the wax. if you dry the car after, you apply another coat of colly! ;)

I already have a fair few detailing products.

Normal detail for me involves:
Pre-wash rinse
First wash with Dodo's BTTM shampoo, rinse, repeat
Pat dry with MF towels (until I get bored and start wiping clean!)
clay with megs smooth surface detailer (I like it more than PB's QD+)
AG UDS
Collies

Problem is 1. don't have a pressure washer/snow foam (and I'm not gonna invest in these until I have a permanent residence), 2. time, especially with exams coming so close. Might leave detailing anything for a few weeks until afterwards.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 12:07:15 am »
fair does mate. Give it a quick wash and dry. Thats all it needs. I really wouldn't recommend claying on a regular basis. It probably won't need it, it will increase the risk of marring and it will strip the wax. Which goes against the point of applying it. I don't tend to clay a car unless i'll be giving it a machine polish after.