Make a donation

Author Topic: Adding extra front door speakers with RCD300  (Read 1232 times)

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
Adding extra front door speakers with RCD300
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:12:31 pm »
I currently have an RCD300, will probably change it to a non VW touch screen unit March time next year.  Until then I'd love to put some extra speakers in the empty speaker holes in the front doors. 

Can anyone recommend speakers that will fit and also is it possible to wire them up with the RCD300, if so how do I go about it?

Thanks
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: Adding extra front door speakers with RCD300
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
All depends if you would like to go 2 way or 3 way. I would recommend the 3 way personally as you then get a really good level of bass.

Have a look in the Group buys section for the deals I have available now. Also check here:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56171.0.html

I can also do just the fronts for you.

As far as connecting is concerned, if you run off the stock HU, you can either fit an amp or run off the stock wiring in the door. Amp would obviously be the best way to go, but then you need to run wiring from the HU to the amp and ideally new wiring for the speakers, etc.

If you use the existing wiring in the door, you can use the 'harness' that comes with the speaker adapters you would need for the mid bass drivers and connect straight to the crossover and then run new wires to the various speakers from there.

Hope this helps?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  So am I correct in saying that the door already has the crossover/harness to add the 3rd speaker if I don't want to add an amp at this stage?

Been trying to find some photos of the wiring to help make it clearer but not had much luck so far.
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:10:49 pm »
Nope, the standard two way system in the car does not have a crossover, only the uprated 3 way system in the 10 speaker sound system.

If you put uprated 3 ways in, they come with their own crossover, so you would then connect the 'harnesses' that come with the speaker adapters to the original harness and plug that into the crossover.

The harness is quite different for the factory 3 way front door speakers as is the plug that goes into the factory crossover.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members