All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

using oil.

<< < (4/4)

Teutonic_Tamer:

--- Quote from: Moschops on June 18, 2009, 09:34:19 pm ---I'm currently using the VW recommended Castrol Fully synth in the R and the ED30 and Mobil 1 in the wifes Polo :smiley:

--- End quote ---

Pour the Mobil 1 down the drain.  Seriously, Mobil 1 is NOT anywhere near as good as ANY European fully synthetic oil.  I wouldn't even use Mobil 1 in my lawn mower!  :sick:

stealthwolf:
I also seem to recall that dealers don't top up the oil to the max mark, they do it to the midpoint between min and max. Given that your mate would have then driven the car and allowed the oil to settle properly, it's no surprise it drops down further.

My car needed oil top ups until about 10k (using 1litre over that period). Since then, the drop has been minimal.

arletty69:
Quote from TT:

However, never, EVER let your car go down to the minium - because specifically on the GTI - the total sump capacity is 4.6 litres, so by letting the oil level drop to the min, you have basically just lost 20 percent of you lubrication abilities! 



TT, I really thought you were in the know!
The lubrication abilities of an engine is not proportional to the percentage of oil sump capacity.
As long as there is sufficient oil in the sump to avoid the oil pump sucking air and to allow for a sensible cooling cycle there is absolutely no difference in the 'lubrication abilities' between a sump at minumum or maximum.
I am certainly not condoning allowing the oil level to be at minimum but the greater danger is over filling (destruction of cc, etc) so best to maintain level half way between max and min.

Top Cat:
Welcome to the forum, thats a very unusual first post.  :chicken:

vwrascal:
uh oh, I'm subscribing to this thread, could get messy  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version