Make a donation

Author Topic: Which chassis mods?  (Read 810 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Which chassis mods?
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »
Hi all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a little while on and off and thought it about time that I joined up and said hello, and ask a few questions regarding some choice chassis mods

So I have an 06 gti, totally standard for now, but after Christmas I want to start refreshing the chassis. I've lots of experience with previous generat golfs, but this is the first mk5 I've got my hands on, so please be gentle with me - for what it's worth, I have read quite a few threads on here and searched for a few topics also :)

So, suspension I've already got, KW V3's

The questions I have are related to everything else, namely wishbones, hubs, and top mounts in order to get some adjustability and neg camber - what combinations work and which don't? I realise that the TT and S3 arms are longer to give the track width increase, but what are the complications with hubs and the brake choices from there?

Onto the brakes then, my current R32 turboutilises some 6 pot Cayenne calipers, and larger rears, which work well as there is more weight at the back because of the 4wd. I have another set of 6 pots, which may be slightly overkill, but as I already have them and in my opinion you can never have too much in the way of brakes, I'm intending on using them, probably in conjunction with a pheaton disc (RS4 equivalent), but will need to get some caliper brackets made up - I've seen a chap on here who appears to be a brake guru (DaveB?), does he do custom work? And then the rears, is it necessary to increase the size of these?

What anti roll bar upgrades work the best? I've used adjustable Neuspeeds before which I liked, and have some hollow autotech ones currently, which saved a little weight - which sizes and brands work best?

Sorry for the long post, and if there is anything else that I have missed in the above then please chip in :)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Which chassis mods?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »
anti roll bars are much of a mchness.  Not many people will have tried more than one set on their car. 

theres a H&R group buy on at the moment which gives you a decent saving.

With the TT/S3 arms guys like vRS Alex are the ones to speak to.

Loads of options on brakes.  DaveB has sorted some phenomenal setups out on here from RS6 upgrades down to 312mm Brembo 4 pots(NQSBBK).  All are good.  Hurdy had the Tarox 10 pots which are god value, and if my Tarox 6 pots are anything to by they will have shed loads of feel.