All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
GTI Condition
stugolf:
Hi guys, I went to see a MK5 GTI today, I didn't have an intention to buy I just wanted to see what you can get for your money. I saw a 5 door Red GTI 06 plate with 53k, it was from Fords of Winsford in the north west, in my opinion the car was in truly awful condition, with scuffs and dents on most panels and a very bad rub mark on the back bumper, stone chips pretty much covering the front end. Inside the engine bay looked like a car over 10 years old. Wheels were also quite badly scuffed.
This wasn't the worst and when I opened the door the interior was simply disgusting with lots of permanent marks on the dash and door cars, dog hair all over the seats and had one hell of a smell! Looked like it had never been hoovered, according to the sales guy it'll pretty much go on the forecourt like this, the car was up for £11,995.00! Is this the type of condition I will have to expect if I go for a slightly older GTI for 10-12k?
Thanks for the advice
neg:
Not at all, I sold mine recently for £12k - 05 GTI 56k miles and I like to think it was in pretty good condition for its age. You need to look at some more, this must have been a one off and not looked after very well - they do age pretty well.
stugolf:
Thanks Neg, I saw your's it looked stunning! I do intend to go and see more but I've struggled to find some at the dealers today, quite rare apparently! I'm not quite in a position to buy yet (will be later in the week just not today) so don't want to waste a private sellers time
no golf clubs at all:
Dealer stealer = circa £2k sticker mark up plus a miserable "we buy any car" value minus £800 for a trade in.
Far better to get a much loved and pampered example higher or lower mileage and sell yours privately if poss. Be paitient is the key I think, there are too many thrashed and unloved (the horror) out there.
Mk5 is pretty robust though so you prolly won't go too far wrong unless you get a Cypriot/ Saudi field loving stinker.
It's also a great modding platform, loads of neddies and great handling available for propotionately not a lot of money.
So like always it's a balance between best price for your outgoing car and the best possible car for your money wheter trading up or trading down.
bacillus:
Isn't Fords of Winsford a car supermarket?
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
Go to full version