All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

GTI Condition

<< < (3/3)

BeezerDiesel:

--- Quote from: chip20 on June 21, 2009, 10:37:33 am ---Hi.Most cars get traded in like that.Surprised they would try and sell a car in that condition!
I have my own valeting company and do a lot of work for the used car traders.The traders I work for always get the cosmetics done before they go on sale!Not many people look after their cars these days!

--- End quote ---

I worked in the trade 20 years ago and most people didn't look after their cars then either. Probably worse today with the 'throw away society' mentality.
Although GTIs have a very large enthusiast following, unfortunately most of the owners who care for their cars properly are the ones who buy them second hand as not that many can afford a brand new one. Many brand new ones are bought as company cars and are not cared for properly (although the maintenance records are usually pretty good owing to lease terms) and it's up to the second or third owner to get the things back up to scratch.
Back in the dark and dingy days where VW made poor performance models (between 1992 and 2005 with very few exceptions!) SEAT took over the mantle of the enthusiasts branch of VAG and the owners of those cars were usually a bit more switched on and looked after their cars a lot better. You could find some really cared for second hand SEATs which made uncared-for VWs look really poor value, however as SEAT have become more mainstream and accepted there are plenty of rough examples of those floating around now too.

There are plenty of good GTIs out there, you just need to be patient.
Just because a car is a one owner, low mileage example doesn't mean to say that the one owner gave a toss about his investment! Because of the GTIs iconic status a lot of people just buy them as a sort of lifestyle statement thing as its a name they recognise and know will be accepted amongst their circle of snobby friends; these are the worst ones and are often the ones that end up in car supermarkets and low rent dealerships as they get passed on through the trade if they end up in a main dealer as a p/ex.

stugolf:
Thanks guys, I had no intention of ever buying a car from a place like this but I wanted to get a free test drive basically  :driver: but I was very shocked by the condition, I've been to see one for under 10k today and it was very nice so I think that was a one off

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version