Make a donation

Author Topic: Timing chain rattle.  (Read 19043 times)

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Timing chain rattle.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »
i found mine got quieter after a fresh oil change.

My cam belt tensioner from cold seems to be noisey making a rubbing sound, but once the engine starts to warm, the noise vanishes to leave a slight ticking noise below 1200prm then disapears which i class that as normal and not an issue to be concerned of.

get that looked at mate while its under warranty because honestly when they took mine out the vw technician said it was almost totally worn and if i left it for too much longer it would have completely ruined the engine. nothing to do with what ukdub said by the sounds of it tho as mine was when cold like your describing phylis
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
My 05 plate does exactly as Bigbo describes. It sounds like its coming from behind the glove box almost and its a sort of dull tapping which is most prominent when the engines cold. Almost like plastic knocking on plastic rather than metal on metal? Its been bugging me for ages.

Is changing the chain an expensive job like the timing belt?

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »

My cam belt tensioner from cold seems to be noisey making a rubbing sound, but once the engine starts to warm, the noise vanishes to leave a slight ticking noise below 1200prm then disapears which i class that as normal and not an issue to be concerned of.

get that looked at mate while its under warranty because honestly when they took mine out the vw technician said it was almost totally worn and if i left it for too much longer it would have completely ruined the engine. nothing to do with what ukdub said by the sounds of it tho as mine was when cold like your describing phylis

I've had mine changed under warranty too :happy2:

FOR SALE!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »

we all spoke about that noise together if you remember at Jkm at the RR day.Will mention it wednesday.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:03 am »

we all spoke about that noise together if you remember at Jkm at the RR day.Will mention it wednesday.

yeh thats the one mate, was gary that pointed it out for me  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 04:12:59 pm »
u don't have a timing chain :smiley:

Sorry, but the 2.0 TFSI engine DOES have a timing chain, albeit only a dinky one, at the flywheel end of the head.  The timing belt just drives the exhaust camshaft from the front of the engine, and the inlet cam is driven from the opposite end via the chain and an adjusting unit for varying the inlet cam timing!  :P
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:48 pm »
Does the Valve chain use hydraulic lifters which relys on oil feed to lift or is it valve and spring/rocker etc??. Anyone know????

The timing chain has its own little hydraulic tensioner, but the chain would have to be well fcuked to hear it, because it is a really short chain

My old CVH engine in an old ford i had used to have hydraulic lifters, and when the oil got old and thinner, it made the valves chatter causing a rattle or Knock. Perhaps the TFSI has the same "sort of" principle??

I think you car confusing the camshaft drive tensioners, with the valve clearance compensation.  But yes, virtually all modern engines have 'hydraulic tappets', and really need very clean oil.  Sadly, the CVH engines (typical Fords) were bad, but their Zetec engines were even worse, which is why you can only use a 5w30 oil in them - even if you race tune them!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 04:21:10 pm »
We all have a chain as well as the belt.  It is on the opposite end of the block and drives both cams.  I know a lot about this issue and it is not the normal sounds that our TFSI engines make.  IE.  Injectors,  carbon canister, purge valve or other stuff like that.  This noise that the OP is on about is the cam chain.  At the moment it only seems to affect early TFSI engines (AXX).  My engine sounds like a bag of nails when warm but nice and quiet when cold.  Have a read of this if you havn't already.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=115268.0

Its quiet long and now and again a few red herrings get thrown in,  but ultimatly the chain is at fault.

Just to be pedantic, the exhaust is driven by the belt, and the inlet is driven by the chain!  :P
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »
My 05 plate does exactly as Bigbo describes. It sounds like its coming from behind the glove box almost and its a sort of dull tapping which is most prominent when the engines cold. Almost like plastic knocking on plastic rather than metal on metal? Its been bugging me for ages.

Is changing the chain an expensive job like the timing belt?

If it IS just the chain, it will be much easier than changing the cam belt.  If you pull off your plastic engine cover, you can see the timing chain housing nearest the battery, at the end of the black plastic cam cover.
------

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »

Sorry, but the 2.0 TFSI engine DOES have a timing chain, albeit only a dinky one, at the flywheel end of the head.  The timing belt just drives the exhaust camshaft from the front of the engine, and the inlet cam is driven from the opposite end via the chain and an adjusting unit for varying the inlet cam timing!  :P

Thanx TT but UKdub already pointed that out

We all have a chain as well as the belt.  It is on the opposite end of the block and drives both cams.  I know a lot about this issue and it is not the normal sounds that our TFSI engines make.  IE.  Injectors,  carbon canister, purge valve or other stuff like that.  This noise that the OP is on about is the cam chain.  At the moment it only seems to affect early TFSI engines (AXX).  My engine sounds like a bag of nails when warm but nice and quiet when cold.  Have a read of this if you havn't already.

Its quiet long and now and again a few red herrings get thrown in,  but ultimatly the chain is at fault.

:P

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »

Thanx TT but UKdub already pointed that out

:P

Yeah, I missed that, but he still got it wrong though!  :P  :P
------