Make a donation

Author Topic: A tale of woe regarding engine mounts...  (Read 1537 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
A tale of woe regarding engine mounts...
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:25 am »
Hi guys, Happy New Year.

So I have been running full set of THS engine mounts for a good while and Vibtratechnics dogbone mount for about 18 months with it. Alex confirmed this was not the best combo for NVT into the cabin. 

The car went into service and as I have a spare subframe with ECS insert in it I thought I will swap out the THS and run the OE mounts with ECS insert and Vibra dogbone.

It been running well for several weeks. Not really noticed much loss of traction when pushing on as still have linear map, winter tyres, WALK, LSD.

Driving along other night and heard a clonk, and thought something had shot underneath car and hit it.

When I got out could hear a hisssssss and thought, great flat tyre. The noise was coming from the engine bay and was in fact the aircon gas discharging itself.

Turns out had not hit anything and the bolt form the gearbox engine mount had come out completely and as there was that much subsequent engine movement the engine had moved forward and crushed the aircon pipe and badly damaged the auxilliary belt which feeds the alternator!

So the question is... could the OE mounts simply not take the torque of Stg2+ and the bolt worked free, or was it just that it was not properly tightened up by the garage (cant see this as they are usually very good)?

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: A tale of woe regarding engine mounts...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:39:22 am »
The single large bolt that attaches it to the car? You know they are single use bolts and should be replaced each time they are removed..... right?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:03:48 am »
Stretch bolt sounds like to me. Only a £1 something from TPS. @Dan_FR I agree also this is the case

Offline MK1Campaign

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:56 am »
I know they are stretch bolts on the MK4.
I replaced all mine when a new dogbone went on.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:47 am »
Cheers, no I had no idea and I dont know whether the bolt was changed or not....  :scared:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
If it was within 3 months that the garage did it, you can see about getting them to cover the costs of parts as if they failed to replace a stretch bolt as per guidance then it's arguable that they caused this problem. Long shot, but you don't ask you don't get...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!