Make a donation

Author Topic: Which Look Better? - Rough or Smooth  (Read 3133 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Which Look Better? - Rough or Smooth
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 12:32:42 pm »

The point about tactility is nonsense though. The knurled ones may be more tactile, but the smooth ones don't lack tactility. In fact you can very easily use one finger to control them.

....Are you implying that you don't have sweaty fingers and the rest of us do?  :evilgrin:

As usual, it's down to individual tastes. Some folks go just for the look, others for the feel, etc

Black knurled but flush fit would be my ideal but the OEM are fine as far as I'm concerned, so I'd rather spend 9 squid in V-Power. Which reminds me that my local fisherman friend tells me he has some fresh scallops to shell for me, so I better go and collect  :party: No little squid today.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 01:38:41 pm »
Not being funny but how bloody tactile does a climate control dial need to be? 

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »

I was thinking this too -- Aesthetics aside, it's not like it requires knurling like a torch or gun parts for practicality reasons.

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »

I was thinking this too -- Aesthetics aside, it's not like it requires knurling like a torch or gun parts for practicality reasons.

Precisely, the knurled finish is simply for an asthetic purpose exactly as the smooth finish is.... If my finger ever slips of my dial and I cause great injury as a result I will be sure to let you all know.... Until then, Smooth everytime for me!  :)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »

Precisely, the knurled finish is simply for an asthetic purpose exactly as the smooth finish is.... If my finger ever slips of my dial and I cause great injury as a result I will be sure to let you all know.... Until then, Smooth everytime for me!  :)

....True. But when something is 'tactile' it also means that it communicates to the brain that it feels very well considered and reassuring. We don't actually need knurled surfaces on most torches but having them makes the user feel that what he is using has a certain quality and reliability even if that reliability is clearly never needed.

I guess that it partly comes down to what gives more pleasure to the individual (am not talking about sex here) - What it looks to the eye or what it feels like to the hand - Take your pick as both versions are on offer.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

scottm72

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:19 pm »
this is getting quite funny, so much debate over a £9 part lol
I agree with the point about them sticking out as the last thing you want if you are trying to keep your car oem but at the same time class it up with little bits here and there is for the rings to look like they have been half fitted by sticking out.
tbh I think at £9 just by both of them, put one of each on and see what you think,,
keep the best ones then use the others for a groovy pair of after market glasses  :rolleye:
I wonder if the cheap ones on flee bay are the same quality as the £22 ones from awesome gti ?
after getting pi**ed off with awesome never having stock im just gonna buy both from flee bay and try them out,,,,, then make some groovy specs  :jumping: