Make a donation

Author Topic: Fuel gauge drops to empty  (Read 3187 times)

Offline adder501

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Twin cam mini . Com
Fuel gauge drops to empty
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:20 pm »
Hi everyone.

I have joined up to the forum today after 9 months of my new gti ownership. To be fair its been its been great but....

I have an intermittent issue that i'm planning on getting the garage to check over to do with the fuel gauge.

Over the last 4 months my fuel gauge has dropped twice to empty for no reason. Once when running down the motorway with 1/2 tank of fuel and once just after i had filled up on Saturday. The car keeps running and once the key is turned off and turned on the gauge has reset itself.

Has anyone had any issues with Fuel sender units or i dread to even think about gauge pod issues???

Thanks

Ad

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Fuel gauge drops to empty
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
Could be one of three things, the sender in the tank, the pump control module, wiring from the sender to the cluster,  or the cluster.

Last one I had in that did this turned out to be the cluster.  Luckily the customer was well into electrics and replaced a couple of chips inside the cluster and the gauge worked again.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline adder501

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Twin cam mini . Com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for you're reply. Its only done it a couple of times since the weather has started to get a little cooler. Im going to throw it back to the garage after xmas and let them check it.

Removing gauge pods and messing with surface mount chips on PCB's not something i really want to tackle myself without any previous experience on MK5's.

Ill update this with what they find if anything. I have got a feeling as its an intermittent issue they will come out with the easy answer that they couldn't find anything wrong with it when they checked it over.

Thanks

Ad

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »
I have the same problem  mate, but just dont worry about it as like you say, its not often it happens but let me know what the garage say! :drinking:

Offline adder501

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Twin cam mini . Com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »
Well i haven't been on her in a while so thought id update my thread....

Percy - As i mentioned the car went back and as expected the garage couldn't find anything wrong. The did say that they cleaned a few wiring connections but i think this is just talk.

It hasn't done it since its been back though and we have had colder weather so all is well with the car now.

Its going to Midland VW next week for MOT, interim service and brake fluid change. I have heard good things about them but never used them myself. Any comments on their work?????

Cheers

Ad