All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Is it better to have more tread on the front tyres?

(1/2) > >>

uz:
Evening chaps,

My dad has just asked to borrow my car tomorrow morning to drive to Berlin. If I had some prior warning I would have had the front tyres changed as theyre just above the tread marker.

Just wondering if it's worth rotating them so that the ones with less tread are on the back??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

uz

Hurdy:
Most tread should go on the rear. It makes for predictable handling characteristics....no snap oversteer through having less grip on the rears. :smiley:

WhiteGTI:
What he said ^^^^

BeezerDiesel:
^^^^^ What they said

I reckon you will have to have the tyres changed before your Dad goes off to the Fatherland as on the continent you may find the legal minimum tread will be 2mm (I may have inadvertantly made that up mind you)

The wheel man:
Ive always thought that in normal driving conditions you are more likely to need the grip on the front (IE an emergency stop) that on the rear.  I have always put new tyres on the front as these tyres do more worrk more of the time.

Just my 2p's worth  :happy2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version