Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 sub woofer  (Read 2029 times)

Offline vik2001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
ED30 sub woofer
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:41 am »
i have a ED30 GTI.  i wanted to put a sub woofer in the back that doesnt take up to much room and doesnt vibrate the crap out of the car.
i have the upgraded sound pack so already have a amp under the passenger seat.  i just wanted the bass to be more punchy but not crazy.

can anyone recommend anything?  i have a RNS510 installed ver H.  i wanted the subwoofer to work of the RNS510 and the amp supplied by VW ont he upgraded sound pack.  is this possible?

can anyone recommend something suitable for this sort of setup?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: ED30 sub woofer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
I can't remember who but someone was arranging boot installs of subs, included fibreglass mould to hold the sub and in the same colour as the boot carpet.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »
I can't remember who but someone was arranging boot installs of subs, included fibreglass mould to hold the sub and in the same colour as the boot carpet.

you should look at the Alpine SWE-815 8 - Got mine for £105. It only an 8" but puches like a 10 or 12, and its nice and small. Because like you, i need my boot space, this sub doesnt really take that much room.

It also got the sub built in, so it wont strain your current under seat amp  :happy2:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline vik2001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:19 pm »
i jsut had a look at this now, can you advised how you wired it up to work with the current rns510.
bare in mind i got the upgraded sound pack, and a amp under the passenger seat.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=;topic=52403.0

May look nice, but i would prefer a quick removable one ( for when the boot gets real full) plus, not sure what the acoustics would be like straight on to that bare metal (saying that you sound carpet it)  :party:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »
i jsut had a look at this now, can you advised how you wired it up to work with the current rns510.
bare in mind i got the upgraded sound pack, and a amp under the passenger seat.

Im not 100% with the RNS, but it should have some component out ports for a sub ( red and White) then just a thin blue wire for the remote, so it switch off when the unit turns off.....

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »

you should look at the Alpine SWE-815 8 - Got mine for £105. It only an 8" but puches like a 10 or 12, and its nice and small. Because like you, i need my boot space, this sub doesnt really take that much room.

It also got the sub built in, so it wont strain your current under seat amp  :happy2:

Looks good that, might get one.  Dont think I can run this off my standard RCD300 though, no amp outputs.
2006 GTI - KWv1 - Poly Fronts - K&N Panel Filter - RTech Stage 1

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:50:55 pm »

Looks good that, might get one.  Dont think I can run this off my standard RCD300 though, no amp outputs.

Correct, you cant run a sub from the RCD300, but there are a lot of medium / decent head set out there now for about £50-£100 which would work fine.

The improvement in the audio once you take the bass strain off the main speaker is massive. so much better sound