Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake Ducts  (Read 37461 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Brake Ducts
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 07:31:32 pm »
Well, it's been a year since having this system in place and my friend Stefan (Acidutzul) pointed out a design flaw... Because the hose is not held in place by anything, over time, the screw connecting the subframe to the chassis will make a whole in the brake ducts:

I use the car a few times a week and there was a lot I had to take into account when creating this. The car still has to use the full turning radius (not a problem for race cars), the brake ducts should be turned on/off really easy, the system should not show any signs of fatigue over a few years, etc.
I came to realize that, unfortunately not all those boxes are ticked. But since I saw an improvement with using the brake ducts (I can't tell how much the brake ducts helped or how much the Pagid Yellow helped) I would really like to tick all the boxes...

I came up with idea of creating a new mounting point using the same screw that was creating the problems.
So, I bought 2 of these

,4 air outlets and I started working. This is the end result:

When fitting I though that it was better to cut the pieces along the red line because the gap was too small and I didn't want to have clearance issues with the arms.

BUT, this solution not ideal, because there are clearance issues with the sway bar (once the brake hose is fitted). That shouldn't be much of a problem since the sway bar isn't moving a lot, but I decided to mount the remaining of the brake hose only before a track day (easy fitment) until I find a neat and permanent solution to avoid the sway bar.

Left side:

Right side:

The final piece of the brake hose is not attached in the photos because, as I said, it will be attached only before a track day (I have to change the wheels so it's not quite a complicated task).

If someone wants to walk this path hopefully they will not go through the same trial and error path that I am going  :smiley:.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:07:58 pm by rex »

Offline Acidutzul

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2.0 TDI ~165HP daily&track
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:19 am »
Nice workaround  :congrats:! I'd say just stick a piece of rubber that would fit tight between the swaybar and the outlet/hose, and just let them move together. Worse case scenario the duct/hose will be slightly deformed, but I don't think that would happen. Even so, not any actually harm done, and there won't be any rubbin' involved anymore.

Good luck  :happy2:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 08:33:58 pm »
Great thread Vlad! Likewise I had no track day without brake overheating problems, I really need to see how can I can build some brake ducts for my Cupra.  :congrats: