Make a donation

Author Topic: Who fitted your parking sensors?  (Read 9274 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Who fitted your parking sensors?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:40 am »

Care to share what your dealers charged? I'll be on the phone tomorrow and share any prices I get.

Suits your black and red Golf RedRobin.  :happy2:

Think I'll go for for silver on mine though :wink:

....Yep, I'm running a kind of red-n-black theme. Thanks  :drinking:

I paid about £160 for supply and fit IIRC but that was way back in 2006.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:14 pm »
Sorry to jump on this thread.

I want a sensor kit fitted, just wondering what the options are...

Ive got a 55 plate TDI so im guessing I need a kit that comes with a speaker and is put in the boot?

Anyone able to elaborate on this as I have no clue how they work lol :)

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »
Sorry to jump on this thread.  I've got dealer fitted optical sensors.  They are very quiet when reversing.  Does anyone know if the volume can be increased or where they will have fitted the speaker(s)?

According to the Golf GTI manual (print status 04.2006)
3.1 Controls and Equipment
Parking distance warning system
Page 124 (if it works like the factory fit, which appear not to have a switch to turn on/off by the gear stick/ESP switch etc)
"The volume of the acoustic warning can be set by Volkswagen Service"

Johnson's VW dealership of Solihull quoted rear only £249.99 inc vat for non audible VW sensor fit using "VW parts" they estimated......... double £ for optical sensors due to wiring into the RNS radio etc.  :scared:

Will share any other prices  :driver:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »
The speaker for the dealer fit sensors that are on my car is fitted to the black plastic part at the side of the parcel shelf , on the passenger side. I'm not sure if there is a default location though , or if each installation is different.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
The speaker for the dealer fit sensors that are on my car is fitted to the black plastic part at the side of the parcel shelf , on the passenger side. I'm not sure if there is a default location though , or if each installation is different.

Don't suppose you've got a 'how to' to remove it have you so I can see if mines there?

Cheers

Andy

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:00 pm »
You shouldnt need to take anything apart , if its there its clearly visible , I will take a pic tomorrow and try and put it in this thread , its like a small extra speaker that sticks up out of the shelf.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 09:30:41 pm »
You shouldnt need to take anything apart , if its there its clearly visible , I will take a pic tomorrow and try and put it in this thread , its like a small extra speaker that sticks up out of the shelf.

My sensors ate fitted to a mk6 and thought it might be the same as a mk5. If you could still take a pic I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Andy

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59:43 am »
After reading past posts and plugging away on the web....

VW dealer told me they would just tap into the reverse light for activation for audible only sensors (£250) they would not wire into the Vagcom etc. I can't see why anyone would be fussed about this. The only benefit I can see is if you wanted to fit optical (not just audible beep beep) sensor kit which is where install into Vagcom, requisite recoding etc allows the RNS/RCD give you on screen display of what's happening from the sensors.  I've not seen the sensors they  (Johnson's VW of Solihull) would use or the maker (they just stated "VW parts"). London VW dealer Alan Day never called me back.:fighting:

Leaning towards these rather small Cobra installs that appear to be close to those installed on very recent VW/Audi etc. Sensor is 17mm wide and stuck on from the inside.

Super discrete Cobra Park Master A0356/358/359 17mm Flush Mount Sensors  :notworthy:
http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/products/parking-aids/park-master-a0356358359-17mm-flush-mount-sensors.aspx

The price of parts from a great place in London. They did a great job of upgrading the radio etc in my old Z4. Mind you I'm not considering a self install.
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/cobra-park-master-a0358-factory-look-eye-rear-parking-reversing-sensors-17mm-p-36832.html

Neat installed on Grey mk5 by some guys in the Midlands (no idea of price)  :jumping:
http://poollretrofits.com/blog/oem-parking-sensors-install-vw-golf-mk5-2/

Another neat install on dark blue Ed 30 (no idea of price)  :pomppomp:
http://poollretrofits.com/blog/oem-parking-sensors-install-vw-golf-mk5/

Looking neat in this video (looks like the 17mm ones) installed on a Vauxhall. Price to fit seems very steep at £300 and I know I shouldn't link to a Vauxhall video :ashamed:
http://youtu.be/H6PTYHOEamg

Although these look more like the ones fitted to a mk 5 from the factory

Valeo Parking Sensors
http://poollretrofits.com/blog/our-services/genuine-valeo-parking-sensors/   

£200 fitted across the UK including painting
http://www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/?gclid=CK3mqPHJ0rQCFYXLtAodCAMAVg
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:41:14 am by MrDo »

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:14 am »
I have the Cobra sensors you describe fitted and pictured in the posts near the top.

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »
I have the Cobra sensors you describe fitted and pictured in the posts near the top.

Thought so.. Thanks for clarifying.   :happy2:

Extra info from your signature link "PDC is a Cobra Parkmaster kit - I paid £170 fitted from a company in Leicester called Autoroofs. I looked up the cost of the kits and they retail around the 60 quid mark, plus shipping and the cost of colour coding so I thought the price was reasonable."

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 09:07:33 pm »
I can do you OEM OPS for the rear colour coded and installed as per factory including coding for £275 if you're still looking.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 10:53:34 pm »
I can do you OEM OPS for the rear colour coded and installed as per factory including coding for £275 if you're still looking.

Thanks for the info.  :drinking: where are you based?

They are on the shopping list as Mrs MrDo wants them :pomppomp: Currently looking at upgrade canbus first and head unit RNS 310 or 510 to make OPS worthwhile.

Shopping list is a bigger than my wallet can handle in one go  :wink: but any info always appreciated  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:06:57 pm by MrDo »

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 10:56:39 pm »
I am based in Camberley, Surrey. If you need any info or anything retro fitted, drop me a line.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline lm_gauci

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:03 am »
I am based in Camberley, Surrey. If you need any info or anything retro fitted, drop me a line.

can you do the same on a 54plate a3..?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:59 pm »
Sure I can, but all depends on your head unit. For Optical Parking, you need the relevant head unit, otherwise you would only be able to have the standard OEM sensors.