Make a donation

Author Topic: STOP BRAKES Warning, help please  (Read 1010 times)

TimS996

STOP BRAKES Warning, help please
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:16 am »
When parked in my drive on a steep downhill slope, front pointing down, I get a STOP BRAKES, check owners manual warning.

I've checked the brake fluid level and it's fine. It's been back to the dealers once and not surprisingly they couldn't find anything wrong.

But the flashing brake light and STOP are still there until about 5minutes after I drive off. Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything wrong or what to look for? I think it must just be a faulty sensor.

Thanks.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: STOP BRAKES Warning, help please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:29 am »
The sensor on the fluid bottle can sometimes play up causing this issue - i'm pretty certain i've seen talk of this before
Ant

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:03 am »
Have the dealers given you a VCDS print out? I'd be asking for that, as more than likely there will be an error logged for this... Which will more than likely flag up a sensor as Ant says.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:07 am »
Ok call me stupid!, but is this not because of the slope you are parking on.  :chicken: Is it not just the fluid travelling away from the gauge/sensor. Then when you drive on the flat roads it clears. The dash indication will be a set time before it goes off.  :happy2:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:34 am »
Ok call me stupid!, but is this not because of the slope you are parking on.  :chicken: Is it not just the fluid travelling away from the gauge/sensor. Then when you drive on the flat roads it clears. The dash indication will be a set time before it goes off.  :happy2:

^^^^  I agree with Stupid    :smiley:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

TimS996

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:16:38 pm »
Thanks, I agree with the VCDS and sensor issue. :happy2:

It shouldn't happen when parked on a slope, unless you are at a really steep angle, which I am not. If it did, these things would be going off in thousands of VAG cars every day.

The fluid should cover the sensor and I think there is enough between Max and Min that angle should not matter unless it is low. on the level mine is spot on Max, so this shouldn't go off.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:55:27 pm by TimS996 »