Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello everyone, new owner needs help. DSG problem  (Read 3225 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Hello everyone, new owner needs help. DSG problem
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »

Thanks for the number I will give them a call to see what they say.

I've got a forum member to help me to do a rest using vcds, hopefully tomorrow. If that don't work.

Can the dealers find out if I been tempering around with the ecu..... Will it void the recall?

...."tampering around with the ecu"  :surprised: That sounds dodgy! Or do you mean you've simply had a remap from an established and respected tuner?

Any dealer driving your car who is familiar with the GTI should be able to feel if it has been remapped by its increased performance but the DSG box of tricks and ECU are independent and so it shouldn't matter. If you have Revo you can switch to their 'stock' map. But you can't hide a remap from anyone who really wants to find out, such as an insurance company, no matter what some tuners will tell you.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:42 am »

Thanks for the number I will give them a call to see what they say.

I've got a forum member to help me to do a rest using vcds, hopefully tomorrow. If that don't work.

Can the dealers find out if I been tempering around with the ecu..... Will it void the recall?

...."tampering around with the ecu"  :surprised: That sounds dodgy! Or do you mean you've simply had a remap from an established and respected tuner?

Any dealer driving your car who is familiar with the GTI should be able to feel if it has been remapped by its increased performance but the DSG box of tricks and ECU are independent and so it shouldn't matter. If you have Revo you can switch to their 'stock' map. But you can't hide a remap from anyone who really wants to find out, such as an insurance company, no matter what some tuners will tell you.

I think he means, can the stealers see that he recalibrated the DSG?
If so, it might show it has been recalibrated. But cannot be 100% I'm afraid. Either way, the car is not being "tampered" with so, no reason to refuse repair etc.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:43:11 am »
^^^^
Thanks for clearing that up, GLIDN  :happy2:

I don't know how a VW dealer would be able to tell if a DSG box has been remapped or not without consciously checking its Mechatronics software at deeper level - Highly unlikely I would have thought.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!