Make a donation

Author Topic: Clicking/Clunking Noise after fitting H&R springs  (Read 3395 times)

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Clicking/Clunking Noise after fitting H&R springs
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:03 pm »
I got H&R springs fitted the other night after replacing the coilovers but there is a clicking/clunking noise coming from the the front suspension when steering left or right although it only audible at low speed.

It is loudest after the car has been sitting all day or whenever parking after a longish drive.  When turning the steering there is two or three clunks but not everytime.  It almost feels like something is sticking and then releasing.

The guy who fitted has suggested that it is the springs settling into place.  

Someone else has suggested that as the springs are shorter than standard they are not sitting firmly down in the cup.  

Has anyone else had this issue or have any recommendations.

There is only 4000miles in the car so I don't think it could be anything else.

Thanks

Darren
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:26:22 pm by darrens »

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Clicking/Clunking Noise after fitting H&R springs
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:22 pm »

Springs usually settle after only a few miles of hard driving - As little as 20 miles. So I'm told by Ray West who builds race cars etc and knows what he's talking about - He did my original suspension.

The trouble with clicks and clunks etc is that sound travels and it could be any number of things. Among other checks, check your anti-roll bar bushes, drop links, wishbone bushes.

Also make sure your coilover top mounts are well lubed.

Of course, as your car has only done 4k miles, I may be barking up the completely wrong tree!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:42:01 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:52:53 pm »
Thanks.  They have covered about 60 miles now since they were fitted so they should have settled.  It does feel like the spring moving but like you say it could be anything!

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:54:45 pm »
Mechanic had a look at it again this morning and the noise is gone (hopefully for good).  The springs had moved in their seat which is strange.  Will be interesting to see if they move again after a bit of driving

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:13:35 pm »
the end of the spring should sit up against a stop in the seat to stop it moving

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »
Yip thats where it was set when they were fitted on Wednesday night however when we took the wheel off this morning and checked it, it had moved away from the stop which is strange