Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter Tyre Whine?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
Winter Tyre Whine?
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
Alright guys. I've been running Vred Wintrac Extremes since October but recently I've noticed what can only be described as a muffled whine when driving. I'm 100% sure it's road generated noise and not bearings or engine related (I hope). It doesn't alter when accelerating/breaking/turning etc.

So I was just wondering if other people running these tyres or other winters experience something similar. Having done a bit of a google it seems like winter tyre whine is a slight con of running winters?

It's ever so slightly annoying - only because I've never picked up on it and now I have, it's all I can hear!!!

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
Re: Winter Tyre Whine?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »
I guess the surefire way would be to put your Summers back on and rule the tyres out.  
I have a feeling you would have done this already if you had summers on a spare set; any local fellow GTI owners willing to swap over for a test?

Can't say I've ever noticed a whine from winter tyres in the past.

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:29:17 pm »
Agree put your summers back on and test. I bet its the bearings!  :sad1:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »
I guess the surefire way would be to put your Summers back on and rule the tyres out. 
I have a feeling you would have done this already if you had summers on a spare set; any local fellow GTI owners willing to swap over for a test?

Can't say I've ever noticed a whine from winter tyres in the past.

Yep no summers yet as running winters on my monzas and planning to get new wheels/tyres in March/April.

Probably exaggerating the noise as a whine and its barely noticeable unless the stereo is low or off, but that's the best way to describe it!!

Offline schwartz

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • GT Sport TDI 170
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:05:08 pm »
My winter tyres whine too  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:25 am »
they will whine a bit   as they wear in more

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:25:41 am »
Got winters on our lasses Touran, that whines, as if the temps are above freezing the winters get really soft. Check it for yourself, you can move the tread blocks real easy the warmer the weather. I'd not worry about it too much, you'll know when you get your new wheels on. BTW what wheels you 'upgrading' to then?

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:27 am »
Thanks for the reply lads. I think I'm just noticing it more as I've been without a stereo and my ears just pick up on it now.

It's more noticeable when you lean towards the front bulkhead (where the front windscreen vents are - which are off!) and it sounds like a whine/whistling wind sound. It doesn't seem to alter really and is noticeable over 20mph. I've also noticed that under light breaking the noise goes away pretty much.

The car is at the dealers next week to get the dodgy stereo repaired/replaced so might ask them to give it a once over anyway for peace of mind.

As for summers, not sure yet. Fancy the 3SDM 005s but debating whether to stay on 17s. Living in the frozen north I will not be looking to change until about April, so will be looking more over the next few weeks.