Make a donation

Author Topic: DAB ANTENNA  (Read 5563 times)

AA

DAB ANTENNA
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »
 Upgrading to DAB rcd510 and will need a suitable antenna.Is there one that works better than the rest  :happy2:

Offline MikeA

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: DAB ANTENNA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »
I used this style when I installed a dab, works well but cant remember if its a SMA or SMB connection you need.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-DAB-Radio-Glass-mount-Car-Aerial-Antenna-for-Kenwood-Pioneer-head-unit-/140904137577?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20ce8a8369
Current Mk7 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Previous MK5 2007 3dr Edition 30 Manual - No. 376
Black, Rear parking sensors, Winter pack

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:09 pm »
Have something similar
Mk5 Gti Edition 30, Manual, Tornado Red

Offline DanBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 Golf GT TDI and Škoda Fabia Monte Carlo
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »

Offline MikeA

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:31:05 pm »
I've seen this one I'm thinking of getting for my RCD510 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271102803229?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My mate has that on is subaru, it takes up a lot more of the windscreen than the other one but works well also.
Current Mk7 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Previous MK5 2007 3dr Edition 30 Manual - No. 376
Black, Rear parking sensors, Winter pack

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
Had a windscreen stuck version originally for mine, signal was ok but not brilliant. Ended up switching to a new polo stubby aerial version on the roof - far superior
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:08:35 am »
Had a windscreen stuck version originally for mine, signal was ok but not brilliant. Ended up switching to a new polo stubby aerial version on the roof - far superior
:drinking:

Do you have photos, part numbers and any install tips?

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
I don't have a photo I'm afraid nor the part number. It's just a polo short whip dab aerial/antenna. You need a nice long extension lead too. I routed the cable down the side of the car under the plastic trim then up behind the dash to the back of the headunit. Wasn't too bad to do. Would recommend a 5 or 6m cable - nice and cheap off bay  :happy2:

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:55 pm »
I don't have a photo I'm afraid nor the part number. It's just a polo short whip dab aerial/antenna. You need a nice long extension lead too. I routed the cable down the side of the car under the plastic trim then up behind the dash to the back of the headunit. Wasn't too bad to do. Would recommend a 5 or 6m cable - nice and cheap off bay  :happy2:

Does the base part of the existing aerial also need changing? If not where does the DAB socket connect if the FMAM are already in use? Any idea on price?

Saw a nice small shark fin on a Passat CC I was following today. Ideally a GPS, FMAM and DAB all in one would be the ultimate.  I wonder if ths would work for DAb as well as FMAM and GPS?
http://www.carsystems.pl/shark-triplex-antenna-phantom-black-gps-gsm-webasto,id567.html

Anyone fitted a shark fin?

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
Update - According to Eddie-NL who knows his stuff that Shark fin will not do DAB and the website doesn't state it will.

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »
Update - According to Eddie-NL who knows his stuff that Shark fin will not do DAB and the website doesn't state it will.

I got the dab aerial from Ed  :grin:

It's a whole aerial including the base which has an fm and dab wire connectors. The base is identical in size to the stansted base so unscrew old aerial base and screw on new one

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:49 am »
I use the Blaupunkt DAB aeriel. It's faultless and was recommended on a thread on here.

Not cheap though. Replaces the existing beesting with another beesting.

Mine has a small fin and also a large mast, my previous Polo short aeriel would not work, so had to stick with the supplied mast, which is almost identical to OEM Golf mast.
Been well pleased, DAB RCD510 was one of my best mods on the car.

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:27 pm »
I use the Blaupunkt DAB aeriel. It's faultless and was recommended on a thread on here.

Not cheap though. Replaces the existing beesting with another beesting.

Mine has a small fin and also a large mast, my previous Polo short aeriel would not work, so had to stick with the supplied mast, which is almost identical to OEM Golf mast.
Been well pleased, DAB RCD510 was one of my best mods on the car.

:drinking:

Range of Blaupunkt ones here but as you say not cheap
http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/antennas-aerials/dab-en.html

Personally I think will add GPS to the aerial as it's not much extra to add one and changing the aerial is not a quick job, should RNS 510 DAB / other DAB with decent sat nav become more available/cheaper.

All in one GPS DAB FM AM
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DRA-6002_GPS_FM-AM_DAB_car_aerial.html

Lower priced all in one GPS DAB FM AM
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct27uv60-universal-bee-sting-roof-mount-amfm-dab-gps-antenna-aerial-p-36938.html

Offline bakili

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:56:33 am »
I've seen this one I'm thinking of getting for my RCD510 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271102803229?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What is the best internal antenna? I bought aerial above and it is not bad, but i have signal drop in some areas in town.
In my case I only need internal as my Passat has no external aerial.

Offline muddyfox480

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:29 am »
Sorry to bump this thread, but I didn't want to create another one.

Has anyone had any experience of the Kinetic DRA-6004 all-in one aerial?  It's around £50, but covers all the bases, the only question I would ask is how is the best way to route the cables from the back to the front?  through the headlining, or down the pillar and along the edge?

I am due to get a DAB head-unit and as my aerial base has become a bit old I may as well replace the whole lot and get something that will support the dab at the same time.

In addition to all this, do I need to provide a 12v power feed, or is it true (where I read somewhere) that the power will be provided to the aerial by the FM aerial feeds from the headunit?