Make a donation

Author Topic: Removal of Lower Rear Bumper  (Read 6025 times)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Removal of Lower Rear Bumper
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:08 am »
Iv just picked up my new lower bumper and painted and wondered if anyone had a guide on how to remove the old one?

Looking at the car there are two screws in the rear wheel arches and then looking at the new bumper there will be 4 underneath, along with the clips on the top.

Is it as simple as that?

:signIWS:

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
Re: Removal of Lower Rear Bumper
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:07:55 pm »
Off the top of me head, think its 4 screws in each rear arch ive done mine with rear jacked up wheels off, number plate off
2 or 3 under rear end, 2 behind rear lights ( lights out) then pull off straight,
lay a rug/mat down to lay it on then unplug number plate plug, O/S/R.
i used the screw driver thats in your boot, flat blade.
start at one end and sort of ''unpick'' the push ins out of the locaters, dont do the ones that are on the ends that are on the bumper sliders/brackets.
whilst lifting one half of the bumper up and pushing one half away helps. doing it on the rug/mat
once you get going its easy
then start at one end to get the new one on, once your about half way through it'll seem like its not lineing up but it will with abit of jiggering and help the lugs through with the screwie, its coz the 2 halfs are stepped when laid flat.
just keep working them even if you move on to the nxt one and come back.
dont forget your number plate lights, and when pushing the bumper on look in the middle of the plate lights you'll see a square shape, thats a little lug/locater it pops/clicks in once you've lined it all up, then its screw it all up.
hope that makes sense
if your near me id help (cheshire)
bill

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply Billy, i picked my lower bumper  up on monday afternoon and was going to be patient and wait until the weekend but it got the better of me, so i took it on in my lunch break tuesday!!

Your spot on, there are two screws in the rear arches and then i had three larger ones on the underside of the bumper and then two small ones a bit further back (further under the car)

I didnt bother taking the top half off though, i just popped one side of the bumper off and slowly worked my across (taking number plate off when i got to the middle) Like you said i used a flat screw driver VERY CAREFULLY against the top half to slide out, its sounds like a pain in the ass but once you get the jist of it your away.

This is where looking back it may have been a better idea to take the top bit off!! However i managed to get a mate to hold one side whilst i popped in the left side, and a couple of clips back, then i did the same other side so it was supported. I thought it was easy at this stage, how wrong i was!! This was the point i struggled a bit, once both sides were aligned with wheel arches i was ready to take on the rear, all corners were in fine as i could use the upper part to gain some leverage, however in the middle of the rear its really weak and from where the crash bar is it was near impossible to stop the lower bumper popping out of the top half! At this point it was time for a cuppa and a fag!! After staring at it rubbing my head i decided i need some ones help! They held the top half still for me using the number plate recess and i managed to pop them in! Once i popped the number plate on it sunk a bit further and aligned perfectly!

Needless to say i was rather happy with the end result! Looks so much better than stock with the textured bumper.

Advise for anyone if you are just taking off the lower bumper id advise having someone to help as it can be a bit tricky at some points, in hindsight i would prob take off the full bumper if i ever did it again.

Took me hour and half but the boss was out so happy days!! :happy2:

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Billy lar
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:58:25 pm »
good stuff, ive done a few now, white, grey, 2 grafite.
i always drop bumper i find it easier.

Offline sf1506

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:34 am »
I'm gonna be doing this at the weekend, has anybody got a full how to do with taking of the whole bumper off??
It would be most useful
 :happy2: :happy2:

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »
Same as above, but to get the top part off you need to get the screws from in the wheel arches, and also take out the outer rear lights as there are some screws hidden away in there. Then it's just a case of disconnect the number plate lights and your sorted.