Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 1 Blufin - Recommended or not?  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
Stage 1 Blufin - Recommended or not?
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »
Hi All

I'm after a CAT back SS exhaust and considering a stage 1 blufin to the MK5 Gti as well.  I'm not bothered about loads of power more about driveability, bit more mpg when driving lilke a vicar, and low risk, easy to do. :wink:

I see demon teaks are selling blufins on fleabay for £365, which to me doesn't sound too bad.

However, reading comments on this section, it appears there are more negatives, than positive posts about Bluefin.

My quesiton is:  Do those who have used/own a blufin recommend them or not?

I appreciated there are other options out there, but I'm not after a custom map, or driving far to a good tuners.

Thanks in advance

Offline Andy_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Stage 1 Blufin - Recommended or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:35:28 pm »
I have bluefin on my edition 30.

I went bluefin for the drive-ability and didn't what no power...... no power...... then BANG loads of power.

Don't regret it one bit. And I got mine from daemon tweeks/eBay.

Get one and enjoy!  :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:07 pm »
IMO, providing you only want stage 1, and dont want to move to stage 2 or 2+ then bluefin is fine.

If there is a small chance id give the likes of shark performance or r tech a look.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:28:59 pm by edd666999 »

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:05:04 pm »
 :I second that, R Tech could do you a custom map which would improve your mpg, and they are cheaper than Bluefin! Depends a lot I guess on where in UK you are though!?

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:04 pm »
I'm in York, so really it's a 150 mile trip to a good tuners which is why I'm contemplating the bluefin so much = cost effective.

If people are happy with them I may plumb for one.

:smiley:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »
granted it may be a 150 mile round trip, perhaps more, but the difference you'd spend in fuel would be the difference you'd save by going to R Tech, if that makes sense, and trust me, i've had both Bluefin Stage 1 and an R Tech custom map, the difference is chalk and cheese, but each to their own!!  :driver:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jqjjojml7bv0kiuvp1b2djseh1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:12:14 pm »
I would recomment Super chips the same as i would recommend stuffing wasps up your gentleman sausage!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:17 am »
mmmm, sounds fun! In all seriousness, if you are going no futher than Stage 1 and plan NO other mods whatsoever, then yes, Superchips will serve its purpose!! As soon as i decided to go to R Tech, by fook, the mods started, have continued, are continuing, and on pain of divorce, will probably continue. The decision is Yours, slippery slope or not!!??

Offline islander

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:25:51 am »
granted it may be a 150 mile round trip, perhaps more, but the difference you'd spend in fuel would be the difference you'd save by going to R Tech, if that makes sense, and trust me, i've had both Bluefin Stage 1 and an R Tech custom map, the difference is chalk and cheese, but each to their own!!  :driver:
do you know the difference between your r tech and blue fin map? power torque etc?

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:00 am »
I think they will make similar BHP, but the Bluefin maps are quite conservative on torque, probably around 250lb/ft on stage1 where as R-tech will probably be closer to 300lb/ft, but as it's a custom map, I'm sure they could engineer a map to your liking.

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:50:08 am »
Bluefin will make around 270 Ish lb ft of torque.You will see more if your planning a Downpipe.

Nothing wrong with going stage one on bluefin. I've been running it donkeys years  :signLOL:

I would recomment Super chips the same as i would recommend stuffing wasps up your gentleman sausage!

Good job you haven't actually had bluefin :wink:

And yes I'm leaving Bluefin and having one of Rtechs TIV custom maps on April 11th on stage 2.

I would agree that if your not planning to go more the stage 1 and you have very good restraint from modifying the car to death then lts good value compared to a lot of Overpriced generic alternatives.

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 02:37:59 pm »
Ok, so I've bought the bluefin! 

I'm savouring having it before I undertake the map change....... :drool:

I'll report back for reference.

I also have a new DV to fit and a Milltek cat back now so may add these on standard map and see how it goes before adding the bluefin.

Cheers

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »
Get it uploaded!

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »
Ok, so I have uploaded the blufin :happy2:

Not driven it far since, but it all went fine.  Took about an hour in total from start to finish.

1) down load Oem map to blu fin.  Took about 15mins.
2) install blu fin software on pc (note it says win98/2000/xp only, but my win 7 was fine). In fact, this was the most time consuming part.
3) plug blu fin into pc. Add your details.  New software stuff sends your map to super chips HQ.
4) I got an immediate email notifying me that the new map was ready.
5) upload new map using software to blu fin hand set.  10 mins.
6) up load blu fin map to car.
7) job done.

Car feels sharper and more alive now.  Not fussed about any figures, but it's better.  Will give more details once I put more miles on it for you.  It's not my old impreza, but it's better! :smiley:

To note, I got a k&n panel filter with the bluefin.  This was the most awkward part off the upgrade.  :laugh:

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:38:03 pm »
So heres the update!!!!

Ok, so there are quite a few of these postings now, but what the heck, I had to share my excitement too! 

I've had the mk5 for about 2 months and I really like its road handling, presence, and drive ability.  I blufin'd it two weeks ago and thought that was more like it, though I still wasn't blown away for the supposed 240 ponies that were under the hood now.....I would almost say the k&n panel air filter and stage 1 wasn't worth the money.

I bought a new DV about a month ago, but never fitted as the weather was too cold   

So today I've had the car on the ramps and had a ferret around underneath for the first time.

I changed the oil and filter and added the missing (!) front splitter.   

I also changed the DV

The old one was like so many on the threads I have read, knackered.  It took me about 45 mins to change the DV and when I got it off, I was SO happy the diaphragm was knackered as this meant that my suspicions that the car wasn't running right were now confirmed.

Slapped the new one on and went shopping with the mrs.   so a steady drive.....

Blooming heck!  Now that's what I was expecting!!!! Impreza munching German performance.....

Welcome back GTI,  you've been missed!

Like other posts, I would urge anyone to check theirs, life's too short to drive around with leaking boost!!!

Spadds