Make a donation

Author Topic: Intermittent Power Loss Issue Whilst Driving - Mk5 GTi (only 10 months olds)  (Read 43406 times)

Phil Mcavity

Re: Intermittent Power Loss Issue Whilst Driving - Mk5 GTi (only 10 months olds)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 01:08:46 pm »
Sounds like you traction contol is cutting in... Have you tried turning this off and see if yours does it still. Mine does it, totally drops all power when i get too enthusiast on the faster pedal.To the point when it does you almost head butt the steering wheel. :confused:

I share the frustration with this one Steve, I too have almost head butted the steering wheel. Can be kind of embarrasing on occaisons.

If the weather's dry and I'm pushing it I usually turn the TC off.
Glad im not the only one dave, since the remap , i tend to turn it off now or i'll be at wife will be asking my i turn up home with a bruising on my forehead regually :ashamed:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Intermittent Power Loss Issue Whilst Driving - Mk5 GTi (only 10 months olds)
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
I can imagine it being more frequent since the remap; so I might just be complaining too much being on the stock setup :signLOL:

Steve I'd be interested to hear your views on the remap etc however I think messenger might be better than the forum. So when I next see ya on there I will warn you I may spam you with questions!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 07:09:08 am »
no probs dave. Will see you on there soon mate :happy2:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 10:53:58 pm »
UPDATE
=====

Dealership copped out from replacing the DV valve!!!  :confused:

The dealership informs me that VW HQ now insist that readings are taken when the car is being driven for warranty claims - and to no surprise the results collected were totally out of kilter from the ones on a stock VW.  So there's no way of hiding the fact that the car has been remaped.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain the dealership aren't trying to pull a fast one.  They replaced the pressure valve (still don't know what that is)  Apparently that was an easier warranty claim, as it has a VW recall.

So, today I got the Forge re-circulating DV fitted - and by God it makes a big difference.  Boost is definately back... and the engine and exhaust are roaring like a tiger!!!  :laugh:

As you can see the original OEM DV valve (revision G) has a torn seal...I'm surprised the car was moving at all.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:49 pm »
Nice ending - looks like its all fixed, still suprised they didnt inspect the valve, wouldnt have taken them long on a the ramps at all.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:12 am »
Glad you managed to get a result :happy2:

The car must feel like new now :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 05:48:53 pm »
Hurdy, you're absolutely right! The car does feel like new...it's surprising how the power was gradually lost!  I'm just glad my motor is back in shape.

It's a shame that VW don't put a half decent DV valve in the first place.  From what I hear its a common fault even on VWs without a remap.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Would it be recommended to change to the revised DV, even if the original one is still ok? How much are they? and are they easy to fit yourself? Will the car need re-coding? Am i asking too many questions?  :laugh:

glad you finally got it sorted Mojo! :happy2:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
Personally I would recommend changing the DV - if it's anything other than the rev. D.

It's easy enough to replace. You'll need to remove the engine cover and a torx screwdriver set.

I may be getting hold of a brand new one.  I'll let you know if you're interested?

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
I'd change to the later D revision, in fact I think VW now list this as the replacement item. There 40quid from the dealer :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Thanks mojo/gasbuts3 i will put one of these on my christmas list to santa :jumpmove:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
Boys the problem hasn't been resolved despite the Forge DV installation.  :sad1:

Yesterday, I got a sudden loss of power twice - whilst joining the motorway.

I think the Forge DV has resolved an issue with boost leak - but something is still causing my car to go into "limp mode".

I've taken the day off tomorrow to take the car to a local garage (not VW) to read if any new faults that might have been logged.

Any ideas/suggestions welcomed - this is now beginning to really hack me off!!!   :sad1:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
sorry to hear that.
from
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16683/P0299/000665
your last code
16683/P0299/000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached

Possible Symptoms
Reduced Power Output
Limp Mode
Possible Causes
Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
Charger Pressure Control defective
Possible Solutions
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
Special Notes
When found in 2.0l TFSI:
Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249), for cracked rubber diaphragm. A new/optimized Valve is available under Part # 06F-145-710-G (or newer), see TPI 2016331 for details.
is for your last code.

You need the current codes and work from there.
It may also help quicker to log the car for a short time looking for boost/ign/n75 etc values
tbh Im not a fan of the forge DV, so I'd still be tempted to run an OE DV (esp if troubleshooting)

whats the spec of your car btw?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
Thanks john_o  :happy2:

I just had the DV replaced a fortnight or so ago - which resolved the general loss/degradation of power.  The original DV did have a big tear.  I was hoping that would have also resolved the sudden loss of power/intermittent limp mode.

I'll see what the fault logs show.  The car may have logged a different fault code which might point me to something else.

You asked about my car spec...did you mean GTi MK5, DSG - or was there anything else you wanted to know?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Thanks john_o  :happy2:

I just had the DV replaced a fortnight or so ago - which resolved the general loss/degradation of power.  The original DV did have a big tear.  I was hoping that would have also resolved the sudden loss of power/intermittent limp mode.

I'll see what the fault logs show.  The car may have logged a different fault code which might point me to something else.

You asked about my car spec...did you mean GTi MK5, DSG - or was there anything else you wanted to know?

any more updates on this?