All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Timing belt change....
Boothy:
Got quoted £375 for the timing belt kit fitting at VW but a local garage says he can do it with the proper VW parts for £200. Should I be worried letting a non-VW mechanic sort it or should I play it safe and go to the dealers? Surely a mechanic from anywhere should be able to sort it?
:confused:
bacillus:
I suggest you also change your water pump at the same time.
If you trust the non-VW mechanic then use him or better yet use a VW independent garage.
Ifti:
--- Quote from: bacillus on July 20, 2009, 09:58:20 pm ---I suggest you also change your water pump at the same time.
If you trust the non-VW mechanic then use him or better yet use a VW independent garage.
--- End quote ---
I agree.
Boothy:
I've never used the mechanic before but he's been servicing a friends TDI for sometime which is why I decided to try him. I presume the principal of changing the belt is the same for any car, just with a different route for the belt? Just don't want him to F**k it up.
I did wonder about the pump so I'll get him to sort that too.
ub7rm:
£200 is very cheap...
Find out what he's changing for that. He should be changing all the tensioners / rollers etc. IIRC all the parts come to something like £200. The VW rate is also heavily discounted.
Maybe he's just going to change the belt itself for that money...
If he's going to do the full monty change with genuine parts bite his hand off!
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
Go to full version